Is it time to dress-down dressing up?

Playing Dress-Down excerpt of article by By ALEXA BRAZILIAN
(WSJ online) http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303341904575577032408587468.html
Blazers with ball gowns? T-shirts with couture? All the better to drink Champagne with, my dear.
Designer and Manhattan society fixture Tory Burch has cultivated this sense of ease and lack of pretention in both her collections and her personal style. "There are no rules about what you can and can't do anymore. I love a biker jacket worn over a gown," said Ms. Burch, who showed a surfer Baja with gold lamé pants as an evening look in her Spring 2011 collection. "It's about experimentation and a sense of creativity. Women are more empowered than they've ever been." And that's just the point. Going casual for evening requires cool confidence. Not timid, "am I under-dressed?" whimpering. It's about insouciant I-don't-give-a-damn glamour. Which is, of course, the best kind.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 5:06 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• No one should ever dress for someone else, only themselves and wear what they find appropriate for the occasion.
    silversmom

Answer by silversmom at 5:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Sounds like my kind of dressing up! LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 5:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010