If you think Guns are bad...

If you think its bad to have guns, especially with kids around, do you keep your kitchen knifes on counters, in drawers, or do you lock your knifes up to protect your child the way you would want to protect them from guns?
(Tongue in Cheek)
Growing up with guns present I find these 2 very similar..
I had knifes in the kitchen drawer easily accessible, But never touched them- accept for any knife that was given to me to cut my food.
Same with Guns. They where very easily accessible to me. Guns & Ammo both where not locked up. But just like a knife. I never picked up a gun without adult supervision.. It never crossed my mind!

MommaTasha1003

Asked by MommaTasha1003 at 5:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• I was raised to know that guns were deadly weapons. They were always around and I helped my dad clean his guns when I was a girl. I do the same with my son. He see's the guns and knows they are there, helps me clean them but knows they are not toys. He knows that they are dangerous and are only for hunting or protection. Our guns are locked in a gun case and the ammo is locked away separate from the guns. We don't keep loaded guns in the house. Like with anything else, you have to teach children to be responsible with guns. Same with knives.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I understand what you're saying but many children don't have the common sense or the non-interest that you may have had. A loaded gun is far deadlier than a knife in accidental situations.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 5:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It may not have crossed your mind, but it did cross my cousin's mind who accidentally killed his 4 year old sister 15 years ago, playing with his parents gun.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Interesting question. Do you have figures on how many children die each year because of accidental knife wounds vs. accidental gunshot wounds?
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 5:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• And anyone who leaves a loaded gun in a house, unlocked, when they have children are just plain stupid and irresponsible. They should ALWAYS be locked up and the keys hidden.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My cousing knew they werent toys too. He knew they were dangerous...but he also glamorized them. His daddy taught him all about gun safety, he saw his daddy cleaning them & taking good care of them & his dad would take him out shooting often. He knew how to use a gun & was very careful. Well, one day he thought it would be cool to show his friends his daddy's guns. They were usually unloaded, but for whatever reason, one of them was loaded. He was a very responsible teen who goofed & killed his baby sister doing so. Accidents happen all the time. You guys are lucky you did not touch the guns, but when guns are glamorized the way they are....some kids cannot help themselves, while others can. NOT all kids are the same. His parents were members of the NRA & everything....you can betcha they've never owned a gun since.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• well my son has toy guns but that is the most of having guns... i don't trust them only for the fact of all the accedents that happen with them.. same with knifes but i keep them up on a counter where he can't reach.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree with you. I had the same thing. I never thought to touch it without my dad helping. And I was shooting a .22 at 2 years old.

My son grew up seeing guns in my dad's house. He never got near them.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 5:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• that's like comparing apples and oranges. A knife won't go off and kill someone from across the room if you hold it wrong

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 5:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Sorry I did leave out 1 thing......The fact that a gun not being used should NOT BE LOADED under any conditions!
    And that is the adults fault... Not the childs..

But from what ive seen in people around me.. Kids that grew up around guns & were explained/taught safety never thought about touching a gun without supervision. or ignored guns-as most kids ignored the knifes in the kitchen.. they just are not seen as toys....

Sorry for your loss Samurai..

MommaTasha1003

Comment by MommaTasha1003 (original poster) at 5:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2010