is it required to take a math course to become a lpn or rn

I really want to know if it is required because I am not good in math and the course I am taking become a patient care tech or cna, I barely passed the math course and don't want it to happen again in the future. Thank you in advance.

seanmommy428

Asked by seanmommy428 at 5:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in

• I'm pretty sure you do, I may be wrong though. I hate math and that is one of the last requirements I need right now for graphic design.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 5:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think with any major you take, you have to at least take some form of math as a preresiquite. Check the course catalog for the school you are looking to attend, it will tell you. You can also get a tutor to help you with it.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• At the school I go to you need applied math, which is just below college algebra for your associates in nursing (still and RN) but to get your bachelors I know you need college algebra, It really isn't too bad, there are great tutoring websites for free (Khanacademy.org) and usually people on campus who will tutor you for free if you need it. Good luck! IT will be worth it, just one semester is all you need.
    lovemylilman06

Answer by lovemylilman06 at 5:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• You will need the math to calculate medication amounts plus plenty of other applications. Plus you will need sciences that require a knowledge of math.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I am going to school to become a RN. In my college you need to have at least one math course as a prerequisite in order to get into the prerequisite biology courses you need to be elligable for the nursing program. In my school to become a RN is a three year degree and LPN is two. Call an advisor and I bet they will be happy to help you with what you need.
    saysha100687

Answer by saysha100687 at 5:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes. In all areas of the medical field you are required to take a basic (or more advanced depending on the field) math course.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yes, and it may be more than 1 math class.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 9:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• thank you everyone I will look into it
    seanmommy428

Comment by seanmommy428 (original poster) at 1:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Ya, my friend was c/o that she had to take math... I don't even understand my girls math and I want to go back to school for my LPN. They will test you - Prerequisites first... Just like H.S. work your way up in math - pre algebra, algebra and so forth...

emily1230

Answer by emily1230 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2010