what would u do if u were told this?

"we arent going to interview u for a promotion bc u have been her 15+ years and think u are too set in ur ways."

my dad who has worked for the company for my entire life was told this recently. they are also cutting all of the positions in the store to part time only, except for the management and assistant managament (the position he was turned down for)... the thing i dont get tho is he has changes positions within the store several times, he even changes his schedule to fit the store needs. (every1 works a set schedule for the company) this isnt the first time he's been turned down for the job. but they keep making excuses like that. and since they made all positions part-time, he looses his insurance. oh, they also made him sign an agreement the day they told him about this that he would not sue them or he will loose his severance package. sound like blackmail to u? he was led on to believe he had the job, but doesnt

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 5:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• My first thought was age discrimination, but then you said he's been passed over for promotion before. Sounds to me like they don't like him for some reason, but he hasn't done anything that they can fire him for so they're hoping to make it miserable for him so he'll leave. It actually happens at businesses a lot. Best of luck to him.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:29 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• He should've never signed anything and they cannot force him to do so. They also cannot hold back his severance package as that was a deal they agreed to when they hired him. They're breaking the law by threatening that. If they're cutting back hours then it looks like they're in financial trouble. I do believe that they're screwing him over and by signing that "don't sue" agreement it is proof that they are. They have other reasons why they're not hiring him for that position and I think he needs to go in there and demand to know why. They're hiding something from him and being shady in their business behavior.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• yes it does sound like blackmail and I think your dad needs to look for a place to work that will respect him and his work!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 5:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• If you live in an "at will" state, the employer can pretty much do whatever they want & w/out due cause to their employees. It sucks! These companies can get away w/ treating people like sh*t & they know that with the way the economy is, they can easily replace an unhappy worker. He can talk to an attorney about possible discrimination- but there's no guarantees that he'd win. I hope he can update his resume & find a place that will give him the hours & benefits he's looking for & hopefully the appreciation too. Sounds like his company is losing a hard-working & loyal employee.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 5:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• it may also have to do with pay... it's cheaper to hire someone new... but in all reality that is not right in any way.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 6:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• he had a mini stroke several yrs back that caused paralyzation of half his face. but he has great ppl skills. my mom and i believe this is the reason they didnt give him the job
    Phippsandrea

Comment by Phippsandrea (original poster) at 9:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• sounds like they are screwing around.
    that's why I've never signed anything like that. But then when I've refused to sign things at work they just think of another reason to get rid of you-

Time to work on the resume!
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 9:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Because he'll be able to retire in five years and then they'd have to go through the hiring process all over again.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:19 PM on Nov. 4, 2010