So unfair..

I was unfairly fired on my 90th day..Other than fighting for unemployment benefits, is there any other resources for employee rights? The Dept. of Labor took statements from both me and the employer but chose to believe them (of course) I was fired for laying a piece of paper on the counter (no lie) the supervisor cited insuborination and like that I was gone. Also had hired someone 1 day before this incident. I just feel so helpless. Any advice?

sydsmom2

Asked by sydsmom2 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Money & Work

• If you want to go for it- get a lawyer I guess.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• What was the paper and the whole story? I don't understand why he would fire you for putting paper on a counter. My guess is they wanted to let you go a while ago but needed someone to replace you first. In most places the first 90 days is probabtion and they can fire you for whatever reason they want to.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 5:18 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Well i dont understnad either. The only thing i can think of would be your boss had a personal problem for no reason. I had people hte me without knowing me before. Something like this happened to a friend of mne she did nothing about it. Sometimes when the boss has no reason for not liking someone they find any reason to fire them and replace them before finding that reason. Thats also why i work from home. I dont have to deal with bosses
    youngarmywife

Answer by youngarmywife at 5:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Unfortunately the 90th day is still in that 90 day period, so they can fire you for no reason. You can try to fight it, but you probably won't have much luck, and it'll just cost you a lot of money. Good luck!
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:19 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I understand, I was fired on my 89th day!!!! I don't think there is anything you can do about it. employers can let you go for any reason or none at all within the 90 days. Sorry that happened to you. One door closes, and wha-la a new window opens!! Don't forget that :)

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 7:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• It's so hard to fight employers. I know you feel that what they did was unfair, but what do you really want to get out of the fight? Do you want to work for those *ssholes? Probably not. It takes a lot of energy and time to persue something like this. These are resources that could be used for something much more positive. Trust me, I am in the middle of a suit against my ex-employer right now; however, I had over 5 years invested with the company I am filing against and stand to win a monetary settlement. If I were you I would persue unemployment and take this opportunity to find a really good job, or get some job training. Good Luck.
    chickadee8654

Answer by chickadee8654 at 12:13 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• You could sue for wrongful termination, but if it fell in the 90 day probation period or if your state is an at-will employer you might have a hard time winning...and as the previous poster said, you don't want to work for them anyway. I know with holidays around the corner everyone needs a job, but think of the long run and what working somewhere where you felt you always had to watch your back would feel like.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:00 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• They didn't want to keep you. I assume it was a probationary period. It must have been based on your performance and conduct over the ninety days. The paper thing was probably was a deal breaker for the person making the decision. Why would you want to fight someone who doesn't want you? There are better atmosphere's to work in. Figure out what the nugget of truth is in what you were told and move on.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 8:49 PM on Nov. 1, 2008

• Not sure about your state employment laws, but in CA, if you haven't passed your probational period, they can let you go for no reason what so ever and you do not have any recourse. At least that is what I have learned from personal exp. I also learned when you do have recourse, then you only get your job back, and do you really want it back once they let you know they are this way???? I wouldn't, move on, get a better job.
    blackcat66

Answer by blackcat66 at 10:44 AM on Nov. 2, 2008