what are your plans for the holidays?

Lynnsae

Asked by Lynnsae at 5:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Holidays

• I always host Thanksgiving at my house & brother will host Christmas
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 5:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• None :(

Both of our family lives FAR away (out of state & out of country), so we are trying to make the best of it....and create our own traditions :)
    Nynne

Answer by Nynne at 5:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It is just going to be my family eating our meals and probably spending time chatting. We're always happy to do our holiday traditions together.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 5:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Diwali starts on the 5th. And as always, we have big Diwali plans. Since the celebrations last for 5 days, we will be doing different things all those days, but the biggies will be: the big local Indian Community's Diwali dinner/party, a Diwali celebration at the Gurdwara, participation in a few special pujas as the Hindu Temple, Giving gifts, having huge feasts, and lighting the lamps.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• We decided to start rotating Thanksgiving. I hosted last year and my older sister is hosting this year. Therefore, we will go down to her house (2 hours away) to have Thanksgiving with the family. Unfortunately not all the family will be able to join us, as two sisters live across the country. Boy do I miss Thanksgiving and Christmas at Grandma's house. Those WERE the good days.

Christmas is split up. Christmas Eve is spent at our house with just DH and our two (almost three) kids. Then Christmas day we drive 15 minutes to my inlaws house and have Christmas morning there. Then my parent's drive up Christmas afternoon and spend Christmas evening, the day after, and my birthday with us.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Thanksgiving, just gonna be me and the kids. DH is going to be back that night or the next day hopefully (he's just going 3 weeks for training, not deployed thank goodness). The kids and I will have the traditional dinner (turkey breast, ham, cornbread dressing, veggies, mash potatoes, and cream cheese brownies) while watching holiday movies in the living room :)

Christmas we have our own family traditions. We live too far from our families to go home for the holidays, so we made our own. The first weekend in December we will go to a 19th Century Christmas reenactment, and then go to the Christmas tree farm to cut down our tree. Then we go to zoo lights or fantasy lights at some point, and on Christmas eve we have a big dinner at our house with friends, let the kids open one present (homemade blankets and books this year), go to Candlelight service at church, then home to bed so we can get up early for Santa :)
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Not really sure yet depending on work scheduals and everything. We usually have thanksgiving and christams dinner out at my MIL's house. We contribute food but she does the cooking mostly and her house has more room, then after dinner on christmas eve she brings out the presents for the kids and they open them and then we go home and have our own christmas in the morning when santa comes. My family is too far away to have them over so we spend it with friends and my DH's family.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 6:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 11:04 AM on Nov. 3, 2010