How am I supposed to just sit back & watch?

I have a brilliant 19 y/o son who earned a scholarship & seemed to be on track to a bright future. He lost his dad in Feb. & it's been a downward spiral ever since. At first I thought being w/ friends was helpful, but now he seems to have lost his focus on what's important & seems destined for failure instead of greatness. I need helpful advice please. (*He's not doing drugs & wont go see a counselor- what can I do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• I lost my father also it will be 3 years this coming FEB., I know how he is feeling. my little brother held all his feelings in and became angry, and said he did not want to go to college anymore, and he is also very bright to where he grad HS a year early. he is 18.. I dont know what happened.. but he talked to me the most out of all the siblings. it was hard getting late night calls and texts saying he saw dad today, he misses him, feels like a dissapointment, wishes he was still here and so on.. its soooo hard. but be there for your son. maybe an intervention is needed. maybe see if friends will help you?? after this long my brother finally started college :) and is back to his old self as far as i can tell.. BEST OF LUCK>.. again I feel the pain....
    mommyoftristan

Answer by mommyoftristan at 6:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• He's grieving. And he needs to do it in his own way. Stepping back from his goals may be just what he needs right now. n
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• he may just need more time,it's a shame he wont go to counseling cause that would help him a lot. As for you, just be there for him and don't lecture even though it's really hard not to. If he's level headed and it sounds like he is, he'll come around when he's ready,pressuring him will only cause problems between you two later. Hang in there!
    anichols1

Answer by anichols1 at 5:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• he may need to get help cause he may be going through a lot of emotions and to vent out to someone he thinks may not judge him.
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 5:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think that it's time for an intervention. Honestly. You really need to show him what he's throwing away and give him that oppertunity to take it back.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 5:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010