Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No good deed goes unpunished.. Please help me..

It all started when my mom called and said my sister had been arrested for robery. My mom paid to get her out of prison but my sisters girls (aged 4, 7 and 11) would be put in foster care. So I went to see my sister and told her I would of course take my nieces in and we made a deal- she was supposed to pay me $40 per week, per child which I think is very little.
So I took the girls, I moved my girls to one room so my oldest niece could have her own room and for my little nieces I fixed up the attic and made it into a very nice room. So all the kids had a beautiful room to stay in.

My sister lives 30-40 minutes away and she has a car. She only used to visit 1 to 3 times a week for the first year and we would always invite her to sepnd the weekend with us but she never did.

She had a job at a restaurant for the first 9 months so she was able to pay the $120 per week.

We didn't know but she was on meth for 7 months and


Answer Question

Asked by lovemytwinsters at 5:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

Level 10 (413 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • **cont

    She lost her job. She cut down on visiting her daughter to once or twice a month and of course she could afford child support anymore, but I let that go because I could afford my nieces.

    The girls are now 7,10 and 14 and they hadn’t seen their mom in 13 months. She came to my house on Saturday to demand her daughters back. She doesn’t have a job, she lives in a 2-bedroom house with a new boyfriend and his 17-year-old son. The girls, of course, want to stay with me as my home is THEIR home now.

    Because I wouldn’t let her take them she called the cops. The cops told me even if I call CPS and they decided she can’t have the kids, she still has the right to take them from me and put them to foster care. Does anybody know what I can do? I can’t really afford a lawyer but if I did would I have any chance?

    Thank you..

    Comment by lovemytwinsters (original poster) at 5:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • Honestly it sounds like you need to get an attorney if you want to keep the girls. Have you talked to her about their well being or is she just seeing her on way or no way?

    Answer by kjbennett26 at 5:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • i think you would yes.

    Answer by mywonderyears at 5:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • She's not a very stable person. She knows the girls are doing excellent but she doesn't want to see it. And I don't know what she has against me either. Her girls are all excelling at school, they are very busy girls, they do sports, music etc.. I don't know why she would prefer to put them in foster care!!

    Comment by lovemytwinsters (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • Hmmm thats a tough one, I'm not sure but it seems like from what I have heard and understand if CPS is called and you can prove her to be an unfit mother you might get temporary custody. Expecially since shes been arrested and you have been taking care of her kids for 3 years and obviously have done a good job, plus shes on meth, has no job and is living in a 2 bed, and has not seen or talked to them in over a year.And just curious but I want to know how they think 3 more people would fit in that house ? There is still the possibility that she could choose to put them in foster care, if that happens and you want them you will have to have a lawyer. This is all guessing since I never had to deal with this part of CPS. If you do end up in court and you don't have a lawyer usually they will appoint one for you, thats what we had when we had to go to court. Good luck and I hope everything works out !!!!

    Answer by countrygirl06 at 5:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • thanks countrygirl. They say they can fit in the house because the 17-year-old boy stays out almost every night so it would be like the extra room would be the girls'. Now, I don't know how a 17yo boy share a room with 3 minor girls he's not related to, but they say they can make it work. I will try to get a lawyer though..

    Comment by lovemytwinsters (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • you can always fight the good fight! No lawyer, represent yourself! The courts will be the only ones to deem you fit or unfit if they are fostered!

    Answer by JoLee12345 at 6:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • She is the parent and she does have rights, whether she should or not. If they deem HER unfit, then the children may be placed. But if not? You have no rights. Even CPS works for the reunification of families.

    Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

  • all you basically can do from this point on is take the kids in and rraise them as ur own for now. get their mom into rehab and keep her kids till she gets her life straight

    Answer by leottie at 11:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.

Next question in General Parenting
back in the millitary

Next question overall (Pregnancy)
what did you have?