My 5 year old daughter rides the bus to and from school, it is a good 30-40 min ride. she has been talk to many of times about having to sit while on the bus but yet she still is not sitting and is about to be kicked off the bus. I have to be at school and my husband has to be at work so she really needs to ride the bus. We have taken things away, put her in her room for the night. and so forth but still having troubles with sitting on the bus.... Any ideas?

mommaklineof2

Asked by mommaklineof2 at 5:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is it at all a situation with bus-driver where you could ask them to be involved in accountability: she starts the ride with say - 3 Popsicle sticks, and each time she gets up the bus driver will take one. If she makes it home with at least one left in her hands, you will have a 'prize' waiting for her: after school snack, sticker, something....
    his.only.mom

Answer by his.only.mom at 5:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• thank you very much for your comment. that is a really good idea and i will be trying that.
    mommaklineof2

Comment by mommaklineof2 (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I'd say that why she has to ride the bus doesn't need explaining - the fact of the matter is that she was told to ride the bus and she needs to follow directions. It sounds like you've tried a variety of things, but I don't know if you've tried consistency. If that were my daughter? She'd be going to bed early each and every night that she didn't ride the bus correctly, and having no tv (and other) privileges each and every night that she didn't ride the bus correctly - with the opposite happening when she did ride correctly (tv and other privileges and praise and her regular bedtime). Since it appears like it might be too late for that, you might need to be the one to adjust. Perhaps you can pay a babysitter to walk her to and from school when she loses her privileges ... you might find that she decides that she'd prefer to ride while following the rules instead of a long walk on cold and raining mornings.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• The bus driver needs to drive rather than work on a reward system. I like the idea of positive reinforcement but it needs to be parent driven-she can earn something for each day without a report of not sitting and save up for something special. Also, at 6 you could talk to her straight and let her know how important it is for her safety and for the well being of your family that she obeys the rules on the bus. And iPod to listen to music, an electronic game or a book to read for the long ride may help keep her occupied for her long trip as well.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 6:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Is it possible for her to sit directly behind the driver with an older student to help her remember the rules? I LIKE the Popsicle stick idea.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My daughter did that too but not on the bus. I would suggest that you buy something she can do while sitting on the bus so she is distracted like a puzzle book or something that she will feel entertained while going for that long ride.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 7:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i agree on finding soemthing to keep her happy on the bus, an activity book or something, and also tell the bus driver to really stay on her case about sitting down.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 8:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Taking things away from my daughter does nothing to her. She will just move onto something else until we give it back to her. I have started a good mark / bad mark system. When she gets ten good ones, I have a box of things that I have picked up at the store (nothing pricey just little toys and things) and she gets to pick one item out of it. When she gets ten bad marks she has to sit in a chair in the hallway until the timer goes off. I will set it for 15 or 20 minutes.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree, the driver's job is to drive - to safely transport the children to and from school. If one child is "not sitting", that child is a distraction and a danger to herself and others. Maybe kicking her off the bus is just what she needs. There's no reason a 5 year old can't sit for the ride, and absolutely no reason a 5 year old should have to be rewarded for doing so.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 12:33 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

THIS!!!
    Anonymous