Why do we celebrate Dec 25th as Christ's birthday when the Bible doesn't give us that date?

dgall3

Asked by dgall3 at 5:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I agree with the above posts, they did take over a pagan tradition in hopes of converting people and also they needed a date to celebrate it on so it stuck. And now its tradition so we celebrate it on the 25th even though no one knows the actual day he was born.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 6:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My understanding is......... ((and let me state that my understanding could be entirely wrong.. lol))

That the Catholic Church picked the date because it was a date close to the winter solstice. And incorporating the winter solstice (it's practices and traditions) into Christianity would help to convert the"pagans" of that time to Christianity.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 5:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• to override the pagan holiday for winter solstice.....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 5:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Calandars were different back then, and I don't think anyone knows the exact date.
    Just like Easter has to do with the moon.
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 5:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Well, I guess it has something to do with some pagan holiday. But, to Christians, it doesn't matter what day we celebrate our Lord and Savior's Birth. We could celebrate it on August 3rd,and it wouldn't matter one iota. We aren't celebrating WHEN Jesus was born, we are celebrating THAT Jesus was born! That is all that matters.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 6:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Tradition. Just like the Queen's Official Birthday is not her actual birthday
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 5:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• agrees with Samurai...

plus they needed to plant it "somewhere" so why not override an existing holiday that someone else already used?
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 5:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I want do add, though, that just because the day may not be accurate doesn't invalidate the holiday. What's important is that we take a day to remember the birth of Jesus - well, to us Christians anyway, not everyone has to, but you get what I mean. ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree with the others - they were taking a day that was already celebrated and adding their own connotation to it.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 6:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Ask Constantine.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 6:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2010