What can I do about this?

My son who's 2 is obsessed with electrical outlets. He can pull the plastic outlet covers off, and once I had to call my husband because there was a screwdriver in one of the holes! Yikes! I say no, yell no, and nothing...he looks at me like I'm stupid. I'm so worried he's going to electrocute himself one day :( What can I do to get him to listen to me that the outlets are dangerous??

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 5:19 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You might try giving him a spank or putting him in time out. That is serious stuff... when it's something that is harmful to him or others (like outlets or hitting)- you need to lay down the law... it is for their benefit. And when "No" doesn't work, you go to punishment.
    And if you choose the timeouts (or a comb. of the two), make sure he sits there (for maybe a minute or two). And if he screams and cries, tell him the timer won't start 'til he quits crying. I think 2 is old enough to get that.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:23 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I slapped his hand/arm one time when he was playing with it...when I spank I do the butt but this was just a reaction to him reaching for the outlet. He cried so hard and I felt bad. I think he could do a time out though, thanks :)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:25 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Have you tried the "locking" outlets? Basically you replace the outlet plate and you have to push the over over to get the out let open.
    http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2967826
    babies R us has a few other good options
    http://www.toysrus.com/family/index.jsp?categoryId=3243664
    briead

Answer by briead at 5:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Girls PLEASE!!! spanking doesnt help!

You need to shock him... Take that screwdriver or anything else, pretend to put it in the elect. outlet/wall plug.. whatever... pretend that you get hurt REALLY BAD... roll on the floor, cry, scream, show him how much that hurts!

My momma-in-law did the same with my hubby when he was a toddler.. he never did it again.

punishment will make everything worse imo. try what i just told you. no child wonts to see their mommy to get hurt... and when they see it happen, they wont touch this stuff ever again.

good luck!!!
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Oh yeah.. briead... thats great too!!!.. i have those in our whole apartment.. didnt think about it. wow now i feel stupid... but they still need to learn to not touch it!...
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:36 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Spanking has worked with all 4 of my children. No one plays with outlets in my home. No means abslolutly no. No exceptions. Timeouts may work. Some kids will register it, and if htey are not too strong willed will do great. I have 4 children each with very different personalities, and all very strong willed in very idividual ways. But spaking has never not worked, and they obey. And because they know that No means no, they rarely push the limits and seldom recive any discipline. You may feel bad because he cried, I can garentee that is was more out of shock then anything eles....but life sometiems hurts,...well, often times it hurts. That is part of life. And a shock from a light socket is going to hurt a whoooole lot more. And if he refuses to listen and follow your lead on this, then dont expect taht its going to be any easier on bigger and mroe dangerous things.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 6:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I have the plastic covers in the outlets and tape them down so my son won't be able to pull them out. It has worked so far... but he is only 1 year old.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 8:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• For safety things, my daughter definitely has been spanked...but I like the idea of the locking outlets. When you pull out a plug, it goes closed. The downside is not every outlet is going to be locking and given his fascination with them, its better to break the habit somehow whether you spank or not.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• If you go to home depot or lowes, they have outlets that you plugs into your outlet. They look kinda like light switch covers. The way they work is the outlet holes are turned sideways so that they dont go into the holes. The only way to turn them is to plug the appliance in as far as it will go, like 1/8 of an inch and then turn it upright, and then plug it in. As soon as you take the appliance out, the spring turns it back into a sideways position. They are awesome, and I have yet to see a child figure it out! Good luck momma.

alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 9:37 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• mrobertson, spanking DOES work, and should be used when it comes to a child's safety. There are certain children that have absolutely no fear of a spanking, but they are rare. I don't believe in spanking as consistent discipline but I do believe in it with a child's safety. My Hubby hadles that one. Not being sexist because I am a woman but trying getting a male to discipline him. Something about their voice and sterness puts fear in most children! And deff. look into these outlets the other ladies are talking about FIRST>
    MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S

Answer by MiiSSHiiSCAMP0S at 2:59 AM on Nov. 1, 2008