What are the benefits to a water birth?!

I have been thinking about havnig a water birth with my second child. I could be wrong but it looks to be so much more soothing and easier from what I have seen on tv. silly me i know. but Im not sure medicade will pay for it now know if my dr will do that. Need to talk to him about my birth plan, that is if we are still here in Fla when I have this baby. so has anyone had a water birth or know of anyone that has?? does it take away from the father 's experiance at all?? just curious

mommyoftristan

Asked by mommyoftristan at 6:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I wold love to try that too some day.
    I think its more relaxing, and helps you through contractions.
    I would consider a MW and do a water birth at home.
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 6:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I haven't done one but I'd love to! Not offered at nearby hospitals for me. The water is supposed to help with mom's pain and relaxation. I doubt it takes away from the father's experience. Some husbands get in the tub with their wives. Regardless, I don't know many men who are going to be sad they didn't see every gory detail of the actual baby exiting the vagina. They'll still see the baby's first moments. Plus some women labor on the tub but are more comfortable getting out to push.
    ohbladi

Answer by ohbladi at 6:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I had waterbirths with my kids, on medicaid.
    NOT in the hospital, not with OBs.
    I prefer midwives because their philosophy is kinder, gentler, safer for normal maternity care.
    :-D

Yes, water is soothing, relaxing, encourages a very gentle atmosphere to birth the baby in~
    HIGHly rec'd!
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• oh, no the fathers get to participate *more* because it's an intimate envirnement. Only those "close" to the mom can get (physically) close to her / by permission.
    The mother is literally in a bubble of space that is very private.
    Dads are included in this space if desired and they are there to talk mom through, whisper in her ear, rub her shoulders, offer cool cloth for her forehead...
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• awesome.. thank you :) Now i want to so much more!!! now I need to see about a midwife.. I take it everything is done like it would at an OB dr? meaning check ups and such? i should just look it up huh? lol
    mommyoftristan

Comment by mommyoftristan (original poster) at 7:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Under the midwifery model of care, women are more thoroughly cared for.
    With longer appointment times, personalized care, continuity of caregiver, etc... Moms have overall better results with their "high tough / low-tech" style.

With the surgeon/high-risk doctor (OB), a woman receives high-tech/low-touch. We know this generally does more harm than good for healthy pregnancies.

Yes, please look it up, look for midwives, I can offer info about interviewing questions, etc.
    I LOVE to help women have better & happier & safer birth experiences!!!
    :-D
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• oops, that should read: "high-touch/low-tech" referring to midwifery, lol
    doulala

Answer by doulala at 7:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2010