fun fun times :(

So I'm taking pictures of all our stuff to sell on craigslist because my husband lost his job last week. Technically he's working but its only a matter of days until the paperwork goes through. He knows this and has been "working" on getting a new job since last tuesday. He hasn't even finished his resume yet and I'm pretty sure he'll get fired by Friday. Which of course means he's going to be jobless for at least a while. So I'm sitting here, selling stuff so we can have some backup money for while he's out of work. And I just feel like pooh.
Can anyone get me out of this depressed state before I've completely sunk into it?

an-apple-a-day

Asked by an-apple-a-day at 6:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• It totally sucks! I've been there *twice* and we are still recovering from the second time. The good news is we have recovered every time. You will to. It's a crappy season in your life but nothing more than a season. This too shall pass. :0) Look forward to the next season.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Sure, it's difficult. But so many have it so much worse ... maybe refocusing on all the things you DO have might help you to feel better.
    Anonymous

• Oh crap! Didn't mean to hit anon! Grrrrr!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 6:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• H-A-N-G I-N T-H-E-R-E!!!!!!!
    you're not alone dear, just try to keep positive, and tell him to get on his resume and give it to whoever is hiring. Can you work? Or are you a sahm? You can offer to babysit...you'll find something! just hang in there!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Well, I know it doesn't help but maybe this is a good thing. Maybe something good will come out of all of this. It's hard to try and see things in a positive light sometimes but fixating on the bad doesn't help either.

I'm sorry he lost his job. Will he be able to collect unemployment until he finds another job? Are the kids in daycare? If they are you can pull them out & that will help save a TON of money!!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Let me edit...we don't actually have much to sell. In fact, I'll be selling my daughters bouncer we JUST got her and a few other knick knacks and some appliances I thought we could do without. He didnt make that much to begin with, we've be living paycheck to paycheck for a long time and we're on food stamps. We live in a crappy rented two bedroom house that is TINY and in a very bad neighborhood. I can't go to the store after dark unless hubby walks me to car and then comes outside when i get back! So its not like our situation was great to begin with. And now its about to get so much worse and I'm bummed because the holidays are coming.
    an-apple-a-day

Comment by an-apple-a-day (original poster) at 6:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I am a SAHM. the money we would lose from food stamps and car upkeep and insurance and all that would leave me at making about $30 a week profit so I stay home with our two girls.
    an-apple-a-day

Comment by an-apple-a-day (original poster) at 6:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• The bright side - the kids sound like they are young enough not to notice. I made due with yard sale, thrift store, and dollar store Christmas times a couple of times over the years. Homemade Christmas gifts are sometimes the best you can give or receive - this might be a good year to stress that to the kids if they are a little older and can help to make things ! Chin up - there are people who don't have a roof over their heads !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 12:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It's perfectly natural to feel down and depressed. The only thing you can do is keep on going and keep on trying. Are here we have organizations that help people write resumes and get jobs. Your husband should look into that nad see if there is anything locally he can take advantage of.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 3:14 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Is he getting fired or was he let go?
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 3:16 PM on Nov. 4, 2010