how can i

how can i tell my 3yr that his great grandpaw pasted away i just dont know help

momoftwo125

Asked by momoftwo125 at 6:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• the only thing you can do is say it simply and if he asks questions answer from your heart, whatever you believe about God, etc.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Mostly if you are religious use that, tell him he went to heaven and then deal with the questions after words. Just make sure to explain to him he is in a better place sleeping and usually that does the trick.
    Madgio1

Answer by Madgio1 at 7:06 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Be careful about using the word "sleeping". Children can become afraid of going to sleep or their parents going to sleep.. Better to simply tell him he died and has gone to heaven. You can look at pictures of him, talk about him, maybe go to the cemetary with flowers, etc.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Honey I had to deal with this too a couple years ago... I named my daughter after a great friend from school who passed away so she got to know his grandparents as part of the family. She had seen him a few weeks before and I had told her he was sick and we might not see him anymore. She was too young in my opinion to understand the whole God and Heaven thing at the time. I agree with the above post do what makes you feel better remember the good times tell him all the good things. I told her that he had a boo boo and that now he doesnt anymore but we cant see him. I know this doesnt sound good enough but its how I dealt with it and she was fine. I told her it was ok to be sad but he is happy and ok now. Hope everything works out sweetie sorry about your lose.
    liltxnchic

Answer by liltxnchic at 2:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2010