hi i just found out i was 5 week weeks pregnant well im guessing around then. in work i lift heavy trays and stand on my feet for a few hours without rest and i am experiencing bad back pain. is that ok? or should i tell someone im pregnant? i also work ten hour shifts on my feet in a supermarket.

im 17 and havent been to a doctor or told any of my family yet. im too scared although my boyfriend knows and is very excited im just not sure i feel the same way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• You need to let your employers know... you shouldn't be doing heavy lifting at all during pregnancy. But right now is a crucial time... you need to take good care.
    Congratulations!
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 5:33 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• thank you. im not too sure what iu want to do next as im quite scared to allow my family to know. i dont want them to be disappointed. does working ten hours shifts make a difference? im new to all this and i just want the perfect way for me and my baby x
    Anonymous

• You need to go to Planned Parenthood, take a pregnancy test through them, and get a proof of pregnancy to show to your employer.

You can likely work 10 hour shifts now, but eventually you might want to cut back. Just cuz you're pregnant doesn't mean you're helpless!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:46 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Its fine to do heavy lifting while your pregnant if it is something your body was already used to.
    I found out at 8 weeks and I am 18. My mother was MAD but she learned that she needed to either come to terms or not be in my life, because negativity is not what you need right now.

Its ur choice to keep it, and she will eventually need to exept it and you cant hide it forever.
    I am now 7 months and my mom and I are closer than ever, so if she reacts unfavorably, give it time.

Tell her things that will make her feel secure about it. Act mature and grown up. After all..Its time to change your life, because you have another one to take care of.

BayB

Answer by BayB at 6:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Also. Back pain is VERY NORMAL!
    As well as headaches, and of course nausea.
    You are fine just get some medical and get to those appointments!
    BayB

Answer by BayB at 6:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• In no way, is heavy lifting ok during this time. The first trimester (3 months) is the danger zone. It is the time when a woman is most likely to miscarry. It isnt the hrs so much that is potentionally dangerous, as it is the lifting and the stress levels. You need to go to planned parenthood or your local health department and get proof of preg. Then you need to get into a doc. You need to be seen for health care and to determine how far along you are, and you need to be taking prenatals. You need to tell your employers, and STOP the heavy lifting now! The back pain is normal to an extent, but you still need to be seen to make sure!

alicia_4307

Answer by alicia_4307 at 9:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• yeah why would u risk wanting to hurt ur baby or miscarry?? I wouldn't still be working there or at least get a position there that was not lifting heavy stuff and standing all day. Your body needs a break. It seems like ur trying to impress people at your work by lifting heavy stuff.
    Anonymous