Do girls need guns?

A controversial new book says every woman in America should own a gun.

By Abigail Pesta, MSN Lifestyle online (Excerpt from article).

Q: What convinced you that women need guns?

A: I came from an antigun family — I'd never touched a gun. But 20 years ago, when I was living in L.A., a friend called me at 2 a.m. "Please come over," she said. "Something horrible has happened." When I got there, a police officer opened the door. He told me, "Your friend has been raped." My friend said she'd heard a window breaking and had called 911 and tried to run. But the rapist overpowered her. Later, at the hospital, I asked her, "If you'd had a gun, could you have stopped the attack?" She said yes. I thought about myself living alone and decided: This is not going to happen to me.

tasches

Asked by tasches at 7:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't think every woman needs a gun. Personally a baseball bat or a skillet will do me just fine...
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 7:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I believe in the proper gun education, gun knowledge, and confidence before anyone handles a gun... I have no problem owning (and using) a gun..
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 7:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Only if they want one and if they are trained and prepared to use it.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 7:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Probably not guns, but taser's I think are a smart weapon to have, especially if you're a single woman or a woman who's hubby/SO is away a lot.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 7:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Guns are not the only method of self-defense at a girls' disposal. Thus the necessity of such a weapon is debatable. What you should be asking is if every girl ought to be trained in methods of self-defense.
    In the story above, even if she had a gun is there any guarentee she could have reached the where the gun was being stored, unlocked it, loaded it, and been able to stop the intruder? (Assuming that she is a responsible gun owner and not only keeps it in a safe but also keeps a lock on the gun itself.)
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Absolutly. I have two. My husband is military and is gone alot. But a gun is only powerful if you will and know how to use it.
    newmama008

Answer by newmama008 at 8:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think any woman who wants a gun, learns how to use it, practices regularly, and is comfortable with one should own as many guns as she wants.

As far as being responsible, locking up a gun is about as stupid as locking up your phone, your child's baseball bat, or your spike heals. All are deadly weapons when handled properly ~ all are useless if they are locked up somewhere when you need them and seconds mean the difference between life and death, or being beaten and raped.

We have guns, a crossbow and several other bows, knives, swords (not those display things, real ones), and a host of power tools here ~ and all of the grandchildren around with no fear of them harming themselves or each other because they have been taught to properly use each item.

The law is NOT there to protect you from harm ~ only to clean up the mess ~ and I prefer to take care of myself rather than be a victim and hope for justice.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 8:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have several.
    Carpy

Answer by Carpy at 8:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• even if she had a gun is there any guarentee she could have reached the where the gun was being stored, unlocked it, loaded it, and been able to stop the intruder? (Assuming that she is a responsible gun owner and not only keeps it in a safe but also keeps a lock on the gun itself.)

THIS^ never seems to get addressed by those in favor of guns- Wonder if they do impromptu drills (locate, load, aim, shoot), like we do for emergencies at the hospital?

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 8:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• If a woman is properly trained in self-defense there is no need for any added weapons as she can easily dispatch her attacker and aquire whatever weapon they have. My computer can become a deadly weapon too if "handled properly."
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 8:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2010