What is the different between Greek yogurt and the other kind?

I am currently addicted to the stuff...plain Greek yogurt with honey drizzled on top! Yummm. But what IS Greek yogurt exactly? It seems thicker and creamier even though it's nonfat...? How is it made? I assume it's just a different process for making it somehow...not that I know how other types are made either!

ErinHill226

Asked by ErinHill226 at 7:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Food & Drink

• difference*
    ErinHill226

Comment by ErinHill226 (original poster) at 7:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Authentic greek yogurt is made from goats milk and is very, very rich and thick...like sour cream thick. It is excellent. They are making some reduced fat ones..but they aren't as good. Try some with a little honey and granola over the top. It is great stuff.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:59 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Perhaps I will check the ingredient list and see. What is un-authentic Greek yogurt then? LOL. Like, if the stuff I have is actually cow's milk...they obviously are doing something differently to it to make it taste different. What does Goat's milk taste like? I know it is better for you, but I'm afraid to try it since a midwife told me she fed her child a home prepared goat's milk formula when she wasn't able to breastfeed fully (kid was adopted) and she said the baby smelled like a goat....which doesn't sound appetizing at all.
    ErinHill226

Comment by ErinHill226 (original poster) at 8:02 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Goats milk is just richer. My Mom put my brother on goats milk due to allergies and he didn't 'smell like a goat'. Regular yogurt is mad3e from cows milk..to be called 'greek yogurt' it is supposed to made from goats milk....there are a few brands saying 'greek STYLE yougurt...they just added more crap to cows milk to make it thicker. It is prcey..but it is very good.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:16 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think it has more protein.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:10 PM on Nov. 3, 2010