Should a church ever excommunicate someone?

Why or why not?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 8:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• ? Dunno what you mean?
    nowmommyof2

Answer by nowmommyof2 at 8:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• If the correct steps have been taken after someone insists on continuing a public sin --adultery, fornication, etc -- then yes, they can disfellowship someone. The intention is to bring them back to the fold. In a lot of cases it works. It's not easy, especially if the person being dis fellowshipped is a family member or close friend. It's' not a step to be taken lightly, no matter what.
    duckigrrl

Answer by duckigrrl at 8:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• absolutely not.... and why do I get the feeling this has been asked before and I responded first with the same response ! ( weird de ja vu feelin lol ) Ah well anyway.
    I do believe that if all else fails and a person refuses to change.. this is the only example I believe that a person needs to be asked to leave and that is someone who refuses to not stop sexual behavior with women and I do not mean sex in particular but going after them and making them extremely uncomfortable. If they are asked several times to stop over a period of months & they refuse to see that they have a problem then & only then should they be asked to leave. This has happened only ONE time in the church I am in. It was yrs ago. It is not something that is practiced because we believe in the Message of the Cross and Grace. We believe in helping people find their identity in Christ and to love them but that was an extreme case. Other than that, no
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 8:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• "If the correct steps have been taken after someone insists on continuing a public sin --adultery, fornication"

So because the sin is "public" they should be held accountable by the entire church? What about those that sin secretly, or behind closed doors? And aren't all church members sinners?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 8:41 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Of course. A CHURCH is an organization. A Church has to make a stand against those who don't align with the teachings or beliefs that it's meant to represent. IF a church - or any other organization - didn't take a stand against those who were not abiding by the "rules" then anyone could potentially be used as an example of that faith... For example, I could go out and kill 15 people and then openly declare it's my Pagan faith which made me do it... Now, which Paganism doesn't have a "church" or organization, I would feel it to be more than acceptable for other Pagans to take a stand and openly say "This is NOT right! This is NOT Paganism at work!" I would expect them to take a stand against my actions and my alignment with their belief system... Now, I don't see how a church would be any different! If someone is actively acting against the major points of any organization, the ties should be cut...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• sabrina....you don't think that would be a time to embrace that person even more....show them more love and grace and forgiveness?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 8:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Now, that said, CHURCH IS NOT FAITH! Even if the church as an organization finds cause to cut ties with someone, that doesn't and can't cancel someone's faith... Faith is the important part, not affiliation with the Church!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• i say no---i got "kicked" out of a church as a member because i did not tithe enough--now that is bull---as for continuing to sin--my philosphy is church is full of hurting, sinners, and people that need healing--no one is perfect---just like a hospital you go when medically sick, you should be able to go to a church when spiritually sick-regardless of the circumstances---pray for the person, not get rid of them---that is the problem with churches anymore IMO---all they want is the "perfect" christian--and i am sorry there is no such thing---thank God for Grace
    jdmyangel

Answer by jdmyangel at 8:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• But what message does the church want to send....one of forgiveness and grace, or one of judgement?
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 8:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• You don't think that would be a time to embrace that person even more....show them more love and grace and forgiveness?

If they are actively taking steps which go against the teachings or beliefs of this Church? NO! Why? Because they are taking actions which say they don't want that love & grace... I don't think excommunication should EVER be taken lightly. But I do believe in the "one bad apple" idea and if a Church feels they need to cut ties with one person who is choosing to take actions against their beliefs (not minor infractions, but major ones) they have to do so in order to do what is best for the entire organization as a whole.

I don't see ANY reason why minor infractions would ever earn someone excommunication... Everyone screws up, no one is perfect. But when someone chooses to act out against the beliefs or teachings of the Church, that's different.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010