I am almost 6 weeks pregnant ,

, Is it ok for me to get a flu shot? And do I need one?

lou_lous12

Asked by lou_lous12 at 5:40 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I got a flu shot when I was pregnant with my son. I didn't really want it, but the NP I was seeing insisted upon it. It hurt, I've never had one before (or since then either!)
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 5:43 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Why would you want to get a flu shot?! If you get sick often, then maybe...

I never get a flue, maybe once every 5-7years, so i wouldnt torture my body with a flu shot. side effects of it are sometimes worse than the flu itself. but since you are pregnant you need to talk to your OB about it.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:52 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I am an RN.... I wouldn't get it but it is ur choice... They say that getting a flu shot can cause per term labor or even breathing problem when the baby is born... It don't happen all the time but it has been known to happen.... if you do get i i would recommend getting a steroid shot to help develop the babies lungs.... it will help a lot
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 6:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I say no. Your body is designed to heal itself and when you force an illness into your system like that, it does not give your immune system a chance to heal itself. Try it natural. You will thank yourself later when the next virus running through tries to attack and your immune system is that much stronger.
    CNLueck

Answer by CNLueck at 7:28 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I got the flu while preg and my dr told me that its ok for the baby in the womb....
    mommy2marie

Answer by mommy2marie at 11:32 AM on Nov. 11, 2008