Do you ever feel bad bringing a child into this?

I haven't watched or read the news since 9-11 ( I couldn't handle it and vowed never to subject myself to such depression inducing trauma again) but from time to time people will tell me about things they heard in the news. I gotta tell you some of the things I hear lately make me feel like I need to apologize to my baby when he is born for the shitty world I'm offering him. I know he will be loved and as safe as his family can possibly make him but eventually he will notice the sad state this world is in.
I just wish that he could see the world I grew up in (which wasnt perfect but no where near as scary as today).
Hell we use to be able to go play outside by ourselves and wander the neighborhood with out fear of being stolen and what not

AprylnAtticus

Asked by AprylnAtticus at 8:40 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Yes I do feel sad and scared. I'm most worried that something is gonna happen to me and I can't protect him from the hell around us. Its amazing how much the world has changed in like 10 years even! It seems like its going downhill so fast now. That's why I feel like the end of the world has to be coming soon because I don't know how much worse it could possibly get. Oh and I don't watch the news anymore either because I can't bear to hear the horrible stories.
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 9:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I try to teach them how to help make it a better place along the way.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• hi. yes i feel like that sometimes... i dont watch the news either and fo rthe same reasons. but i do catch the news on my homepage every day, on the Y. anyway, just remember that there is a purpose for our childrens lives VERY separate from our own. even tho scary, there is beauty if we teach them to look for it, cultivate it and create it with care, love and expression of their gifts and talents. YES they must watch the heck out and be safe and more... but they too will have chances fo rlove and success and enjoyment. this is thei rworld too and it is up to us to guide them forth, and for them to make their corners of the world beautiful or meaningful in their own unique ways.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 8:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• thats one reason i never wanted children. Why bring them into this f**ked up world ???? but since i have gotten pregnant I have no choice & i do feel bad about it!!
    ahsweetness

Answer by ahsweetness at 9:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I figure every generation has felt this same way.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• NO - NEVER! I think this world is so much better than the one I grew up in and MILES better than the one my parents or grandparents grew up in... If anything things have gotten better, not worse. The ONLY difference is that thanks to the media, we know about every little thing that happens, where we didn't have access to the knowledge generations or two ago.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• A lot of the things that are stated on the news are hyped up for ratings. A lot of the stories are the news are told just to gather in more viewers, and the real information (The actual information) is left out due to not being a good enough story. A lot of statistics they throw out there are based on 100 or less people and not the entirity of the country. Therefore, when they say 1-10 people, they're refering to 1-10 out of the 10 they surveyed. You're not actually getting real information from news anymore, and the fact they put more celebrity gossip on there should be a hint to that as well.

With that said, when I brought children into this world I knew that what I taught them and what I instilled in them would be the most important. Not how everyone else lives or how everyone else interacts. I have the ability to help my child in the right direction. That to me is more important then what might be happening out there.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• To add to that, the world is any worse off then it was 50 years ago. The only difference is that we have a greater number of places to publisize what is going on in this world. We have TV, Cable TV, the internet, radio, and news papers. Ontop of that we have the media, even some government agencies, and certain famous faces instilling fears to ploy people into their way of believing. The actual number of rapes, murders, kidnappings, and whatever else hasn't changed all that drastically over the years. It is just more publisized now, which increases the fear in people. The world isn't a horrible place, just as it wasn't 50 years ago. It's just more open to viewing then it was 50 years ago. We can still let our kids go out in play in the yard, we can still walk around most streets at night. We just have to be smart about what we do, just as we always had to do.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 10:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2010