My 5yd Olld...

Won't wipe!! When she goes potty a school...and even at home. She is starting to become sore, and won't stop scratching herself....I don't know what to do. I try to remind her at home but I'm not always there, any ideas would be a great help

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Get her some of those flushable wipes. Make a big deal about how cool they are. You might have to give her a fanny pack to hold them in at school though.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• when you find out let me know.confused

I have the same problem with my son, except he calls from the bathroom "Mom can you come wipe my but please?" when he comes home from school he says he itches and we go strait to shower and the talk "well if you wiped correctly you would have that problem" I guess it will come in time.

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 8:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• you just have to tell them that that step i sVERY important, i told my son to "scrape" with the tissue -- otherwise he dint knwo what he was doign and would do it too lightly. kids dont liek to dela with that step, who does lol. but i also told son that when he goes to daycare NO one can help him, so he MUST get the hang of it! i would help him wipe up to like first grade OCCASIONALLY if he had a particularly "difficult' time in there, but i graduated to tellign him noooo mommy cant! you have to do it! thru the door. i did well with potty training him, he is a pro now and is 7 but started a little rough but then was a champ by like 3 and 4.
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 9:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• If she is sore and itchy make sure she knows that she is sore and itchy because of not wiping. I would also put some kind of cream on her butt of course. Then just remind her when she is at home and going potty that she will stop being sore if she start wiping.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree with Peajewel that you need to make sure she understands the relationship between her not wiping and the itching/soreness. Beyond that, I think you're going to need to implement a consequences/reward system. If she keeps herself clean for a whole day she gets something (like a sticker, or whatever) if she manages for a whole week maybe she could get a special outing or meal? After a few days of that, introduce a consequence for not keeping herself clean - for example, if she doesn't wipe she loses the privilege of watching television.

I also want to add that not wiping feces properly increases the chances of her developing bacterial vaginosis (from e. coli in the vagina) if the itching doesn't go away once she's been clean and dry for a few days you might need to see a doctor.
    Allaye

Answer by Allaye at 12:51 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Some kids love the flushable wipes. They're softer and more comfortable. At her age, she needs a motivator. You could do a chart for her and give her a star everytime she wipes. Kids usually would only get one star a day this way. If she earns her star she gets an extra book read to her at night. When she gets 5 stars she earns a trip to a one dolllar dollar store. (Even though it's inexpensive, don't buy her more than one item!) Don't make it have to be 5 starts in a row. When she's learning, it can be very discouraging to get four starts and then "mess up" and not get the fifth star. This way you can be positive about what she is doing well. I'm not recommending that all kids need rewards to wipe! But sometimes rewards just get kids of the "hump" and then wiping becomes a habit for them and the reward part is over.
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 1:30 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• but some diaper rash cream before she go to school that will help alittle
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 12:07 PM on Nov. 6, 2010