Apples to oranges?

While listening to talk radio today, I heard the host, who also happens to be a councilman, give a

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 8:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Haha, I was wondering what happened! And I think they're completely different. IF a museum is a privately owned business that doesn't get government funding, they can and should display what they want and if people don't like it, they can leave or not attend in the first place. But if it has government funding, then it shouldn't have a religious preference. I don't really know the whole story, but that's what I think. :) But if it's just history, and it happens to offend someone, even if it's put in a factual, historic way, then those people need to just get over it!
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 11:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Well, considering that prayers over the loudspeaker in public schools are unconstitutional, and that a museum changing their lineup is not, I'd have to agree with Apple and Oranges. It always baffles me how frequently people forget about the whole unconstitutional thing in regards to faculty-led prayer.
    KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 9:08 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Sporting event-it does not even say if its a public or private school. The full story and facts are your friend, but ignore them if you must just to make a point!

Are you privy to information the rest of us are not regarding this particular situation? If not, then maybe it is unwise to say others are ignoring the full story and facts when, in fact, they haven't even been presented. Now, if the school in question were a private school, it wouldn't even be an issue, so it's safe to make the educated assumption that this was indeed a public school he was talking about. Public school, including the sporting events they host, can not have faculty-led prayers.

KelleyP77

Answer by KelleyP77 at 3:26 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• "Seems everyone in this country has "freedom of religion" EXCEPT Christians! How often would a Muslim be asked not to pray? Um, try NONE! Yet, they think nothing of trouncing on our rights and freedoms! If you don't want to hear the prayer, put your fingers in your ears!"

And THIS is the exact attitude of people in this country that needs to stop. And let's be realistic, of ALL religions, I think christians have the MOST freedoms. As they ARE the majority, with a church on every corner.
    And the "put fingers in your ears part" is just selfish, self righteous dribble. Next time you are somewhere public, and a Muslim prayer is being broadcast, let's see how christians react, k? You may as well just told all "non" christians to shut up and stop whining, so as your christian ways can forced upon us all. OVER MY DEAD BODY.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:32 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• " as for the prayer over the loudspeaker, i never understood why nonbelievers or agnostics or atheists coudl just sit there and relax while most people enjoy praying. they can think of whatever the heck they like while a lot of people want and need to pray within this culture. or they used to "

So you are saying, what? We should go back to when atheists/agnostics stayed in the closet, and had to be subjected to religious prayers outside of a church? And since when does prayer have to be over a loudspeaker, and obtrusive? I thought prayer could be said quietly, within the confines of ones' heart? Doesn't god hear this just as well?
    maybe next time they should do a muslim prayer or a buddhist prayer....and all the christians can squirm in their seats for once. And the rest can just tell them to put their fingers in their ears and shut up and deal with it.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 7:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I don't think taking down a art exhibit is fair, people should be allowed to express themselves. I definitely don't think it's right to compare it to the prayer on the loud speaker scenario because they're totally different situations.
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 9:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I hear you. it always seem to be an issue when praying is stopped in a "public" place, but no one stops to look at it from the other persons point of view. "if I'm not of that religion then why do I have to be subjected to it?" I guess if all non Christians kept quite and stayed hidden, and never expressed their beliefs, all others would just be fine with that. I say if you CAN'T represent ALL religions to be fare than none should be represented. how would they have felt if it was a Wiccan pray being broad-casted. the horror jaw drop

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:06 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• spinning globehere here

northcarolinama

Answer by northcarolinama at 9:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Well, maybe he is saying that the museum is publicly funded as is a public school so that is where is analogy makes sense to him-I am not sure BUT on to your question- I would have no problem with any type of prayer before a sporting event- it really would not matter if it were Hindu, Christian, Muslim or Jewish- I am in control of my Faith and it is secure. I have no problem listening to the anthem of all countries at sporting events, most have some type of reference to allegience to that country or o a God of some type. Someone praying or not praying does not matter to me. Do I think its a good idea for a public school to have a prayer before a game over the loud speaker-probably not-but our kids pray before the game in the locker room (my son does not even though we are Christian) and no one has voiced a concern over it. Live and let live, be secure in yourself and the rest works itself out.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 8:47 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I think our entire nation has become so intolerant of anyone who has different beliefs. I'm a Christian and I don't feel offended if someone wants to say a muslim prayer or a buddhist prayer or whatever. But I think we should try to INCLUDE everyone, not EXCLUDE everyone. Our children are growing up in a sterile vacuum with only what they learn at home, which is one point of view, instead of being exposed to many different points of view or beliefs or faiths.
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:11 AM on Nov. 3, 2010