Can Mirena Cause Bacterial Vaginosis?

I was thinking about getting Mirena but I've heard people say that it can cause B.V. and make it harder to get rid of. Anyone had experiences with this?

UVWray

Asked by UVWray at 9:01 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Health

• No. Bacteria causes bacterial vaginosis. Having the mirena can increase your risk of infection of the uterus (not vagina) in general. I had the Mirena for four years and I never had any problems with infection.
    Mood swings, bloating, skin issues and other hormonal problems, on the other hand...
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 9:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I'm not sure if I had BV when I had the Mirena, but almost immediately after I had it placed, I developed all the symptoms of BV (but I didn't know what it was at the time). They lasted until shortly after I had it removed, almost 8 months later. The symptoms came and went during that time, but I couldn't see my doctor because I didn't have health insurance or the money. I've talked to a few other women who said that they had "chronic yeast infections" with the Mirena, which might have been BV.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 9:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• No never had the mirena.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 10:08 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I have had mirena put in twice. Since the second time ive had it put in, ive had nothing but problems! Continuous yeast infections, and countless BV infections, which I never experienced in my life before. My doctor says the wires are cut a little too short so that could be why the bacteria is growing (ie, the wires are lacerating). Ive finally had enough and am having it removed and replaced. So yes, they (mirena) DO cause those infections
    mellet

Answer by mellet at 1:16 PM on Sep. 10, 2013