As a parent why do we only worry about perverts at halloween?

Why is it that all year round we let our kids play in the front yard we let them walk to the corner store etc without any fear of the pervert driving around town or living in your neighborhood. But at Halloween we develop this overly paranoid fear about creeps and perverts. I know that there are those parents out there who think about it all year long but the vast majority of us don't even think twice about who we live around. Is it just me or should the concern over predators and perverts be a year round thing not just a halloween thing?

bubblycute

Asked by bubblycute at 6:03 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Just for Fun

• Mhh.. im one of the parents that is worried the whole year.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Dito m.robertson...my kids don't play in the yard unless I'm there, and oh hell no they aren't walking to the corner store.
    FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 6:07 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• i worry all year round, though luckily i live in a neighborhood whit a very strict and stuck up homeowners association.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 6:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I worry all yr. I think most people do, subconsciously. It's just more talked about at Halloween, b/c you're letting your kids walk up to their door and knock, which goes against the speech we give all yr long about not talking to strangers, not going to stranger's houses, etc. Personally, we don't do the old fashioned trick-or-treating. We go to a haunted house, and to a church nearby that does something called trunk-or-treat, where they hand candy out of the trunks of the cars. Then my kids get to go to grandma and grandpa's house (they live right down the street) to do the old fashioned style. We have too many known sex offenders in our town for me to be comfortable letting my kids do that, even with me right there.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 6:10 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I like the idea of the trunk or treat. My son is only 2 1/2 and we do the traditional trick or treating, but i'm holding his hand at every door he never walks up there a lone.
    bubblycute

Answer by bubblycute at 6:12 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I'm a year-round worrier. I watch the news regularly. I have never been able to feel at ease with my daughter playing just out in the yard or next door(not unless I am with her all the time-harder to do as she grows up. )
    abusedmom

Answer by abusedmom at 6:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• That's a good idea tropicalmama, I think we'll do the trunk or treat tonight or find a church in town that is doing something. I just can't handle the door to door anymore. Thanks for the idea!

FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 6:16 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I'm worried every day. I'm constantly watching people around the school and the parks. I just don't think we can really afford to trust anyone these days.
    mrswright1170

Answer by mrswright1170 at 6:20 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• We do the trunk or treat and we love it. We live out in the country though so our front yard is aways away from the road and there's no one close to take her. But I always have the front door and windows open so I can always see.
    Kenzies_momma

Answer by Kenzies_momma at 6:26 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I worry yr around. But people I think are more concern in Halloween because pervert know that some children are alone with now parents.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 6:50 PM on Oct. 31, 2008