How do you decide what to do as your career?

I am clueless about what I want to do with my life! I'm only 23 so I have a good amount of time left! I just don't want to be at the bottom anymore. I want to make 60000 a year and enjoy what I am doing! How do I decide if I have no idea what I want to do!

tisha1030

Asked by tisha1030 at 9:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• haha I'm in your EXACT same situation. I'm 23 and have absolutely NO idea what I want to do. Plus, spending the next 30 years of my doing the same thing kind of scares and depressed me :( Sorry I'm no help but let me know if you get any good advice!!
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 9:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Same here that is why I came to here! lol... Trying to figure it out before time runs short. lol
    tisha1030

Comment by tisha1030 (original poster) at 9:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Go with what you have a passion for and just go for it:-)
    uniquemom30

Answer by uniquemom30 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• LOL I hear ya. All I can say is I'm starting by deciding what I enjoy and what I'm passionate about and then thinking of ways to use that in a career that pays well lol. So far I've thought of a few things but I don't know where to start, and don't know if I'd enjoy spending the rest of my life doing it, because who knows what I'll want 15-20 year from now? It's a stressful decision lol.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 9:37 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• A career is a passion. Something you love doing. It makes you want to wake up in the morning. It helps you throughout your day, your weeks, your years. That can be a very daunting thing to figure out. However, the only way you're going to figure it out is by trying new things. It is extremely rare that someone is attracted to a hobby or skill without trying it first. Most passions come from learning something new. This could mean taking up new hobbies, taking a new class, or just generally conversing with others to see where you stand in the world of what you like.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• yea got my hobbies down packed! No income in them though! I can't make a living making recycled crafts! So I am moving on! Any one ever heard of a life coach?
    tisha1030

Comment by tisha1030 (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I decided to go for finance -- at first i went for pharmacy because i know A LOT more about pills than normal people should due to the illnesses that run in my family.

I changed to finance.. i was really good at the accounting classes i took in high school, but accounting is tedious, repetative and boring so i branched out to finance which includes accounting and also investing and other things. I am anal about my own money and track things down to the penny so finance was a natural choice, just took me a while to get there.
    mhaney03

Answer by mhaney03 at 10:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• How on earth can one decide to be a life coach when they come on here asking a question like this?
    "I don't know what to do with my life, so I'll be a life coach and help others decide what to do with theirs".......

just sayin'
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 12:38 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• lmao! romance has a good point!

I am in your boat.... Im 27!!... So be careful cause you can easily become me (ok not really, anxiety had me & im just digging my way out)...

But for me its harder to choose because its not just about what my dreams are.. I need a job where my family is #1. So its got to be flexible.. I am a mom/wife FIRST... that is my passion in life. sadly it doesnt pay the bills..
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:44 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Well, for me, it wasn't so much what do I WANT to do, but what do I have the resources to do, as well. I would have liked to be a marine biologist, but since I live in-land, that would have been a really hard goal to meet.

My advice for you, is to look at three things:
    1. What do you like to do? science? nursing? business?
    2. What are the job possibilities for those areas? this can be in your area, if you have no plan to move, or global, if you are willing and able to move from where you are to find work.
    3. What education will you need and is that attainable? If you want to be a vet and the nearest school is 3 hours from you and you can't move... that's not gong to work for you. If you enjoy business, that's a great area to go into, and there are schools all over the place. Nursing/health care is another good one (for now), as is anything to do with computers (web design, programming, IT, etc.).

Good luck!
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:44 AM on Nov. 3, 2010