Working moms: How do you deal with sick days for your kids?

I hate to call of work, I jump thru hoops just so I don't have to. I don't want that time counted against me. How does everyone else do it?
It is better now that I work at home, I can just work while they are asleep and stop when they are up. But I still have to meet my production.

Bubbie0809

Asked by Bubbie0809 at 9:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm extremely lucky to have a very understanding supervisor. I'm allowed to take days when I need them. If I make up the hours great, if not, my loss.
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• TRY YOUR BEST TO GET A FREE LIVE IN BABY SITTER
    ToniT_of_2

Answer by ToniT_of_2 at 9:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• thats exactly how my boss is. i work in a preschool and my kid goes to the same one just different class. but if we both call in she's fine cause its better us to be out than the whole school.
    19_klayton

Answer by 19_klayton at 9:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Me and DH take turns calling in if needed.
    ashisamom

Answer by ashisamom at 9:39 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My boss is cool with it so on those days, like today in fact, I just work from home.
    kmath

Answer by kmath at 9:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• A free live in babysitter??
    Where would that be?..LOL

Anyway, I am lucky enough to have a job where they understand my child is my number one priority.
    Too many jobs these days are not like that and that is so unfortunate.
    Serendipitydoo

Answer by Serendipitydoo at 9:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• my supervisor is as understanding as she can be, but I work for a large corporation, that has attendance policies that no matter how much my supervisor understands, she has to follow. If you miss one day, your bonus for the 1/4 is cut by 1/3 and so on for each day. I need that bonus so much these days.

Bubbie0809

Comment by Bubbie0809 (original poster) at 9:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I just chalk it up to if my supervisors cant understand my child is my number one priority then I shouldnt be working for them. But mostly my bosses know and understand.

You do the most you can and deal with it from there..thats the best and most you can ask of yourself when ur attention is needed else where. good luck
    SweetPoison

Answer by SweetPoison at 9:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• my husband and i both work for the state, so we take turns using our accrued vacation and sick leave. we don't have any family in the area so there's no back up plan, we just have to take turns.
    mellypoo

Answer by mellypoo at 10:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I have to use a sick day if me, my child, or my husband is sick or has an appointment or something. My dh usually cares for the kids during the day, but he has school, too, so he can't always just stay with a sick kid. i am lucky I have had enough sick days (so far).....
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:38 AM on Nov. 3, 2010