I'm something of a new mom, I have a son who just turned 1 yrs. old and recently found out that I'm pregnant again. I'm a little over 8wks and for the last 3days I have come extremely close to blacking out. I'll breakout in this body sweat and I'll get really hot,dizzy,and nauseated. I heard that overheating can cause harm to your baby so I was wondering if I should go to the ER? Has anybody had this happen to them before, and if so what should I do?

Shanelle1028

Asked by Shanelle1028 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I am an RN and this happened to me when i was pregnant with my son... I actually passed out it wal-mart.... They tell you to take a cool shower or bath.... Also wear lighter cloths but make sure that you wear socks cause if your temp drops to fast then it will make you feel like crap... also take a few tylonal... it will help keep it lower.... Heat really dont cause the baby any harm unless it is extreme heat over 105 so you really dont have much to worry about but those other things will help keep you feeling ok....
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 6:32 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I have it, I'm 18 weeks and it happens every now and then. Usually when I'm getting out of the shower and in a hurry getting dressed. If I drink a glass of water it usually stops and I'm fine. As soon as I feel that way, I get water and it seems to do the trick. If you think you need to go to the ER then go, they'll probably give you fluids in an IV and check everything. Good luck
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 6:34 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• That just happened to me a few hours ago. I think it's because you're blood is increasing. Just drink some cool water and sit or lay down to let yourself relax. Maybe eat something sugary too. I wouldn't worry unless it is happening very often. If it continues I would make an appointment with your ob to make sure it's nothing else.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 6:57 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• AshJoe05 has it right. You are not staying hydrated enough. Also try to up your protein and don't take too hot of a shower.
    CNLueck

Answer by CNLueck at 7:13 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Your body is ramping up its blood production and circulation. This causes fainting/blackouts for some women. Just try to stay well-hydrated and takes things easier until you get into your 2nd trimester. It usually gets better as you go along.
    PamJM

Answer by PamJM at 8:14 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I am 26 weeks and it happens to me all the time. The best thing to do is sit or lay down and drink some water. Sometimes I feel better in a few minutes sometimes it takes longer but resting and cooling off always helps.
    itsme0221

Answer by itsme0221 at 3:43 AM on Nov. 1, 2008