Won't listen to "no"

My son just turned 1 a few days ago. My hubby will tell him "no" one time and he will stop doing whatever it is that he is being told not to do. With me, he just laughs and continues doing it. I tell him "no" and then I move him away from what he's doing and try giving him something else, but he still goes back. I even use my "mean Mommy" voice and still nothing. I'm losing my mind. I am the one home with him all day long. What else can I do? I am so frustrated!

FertMert

Asked by FertMert at 6:31 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Well, there are several different aproches you can use. One, is whenever he tryes to go back, don't pick him back up, get down as close to his face as possible and say NO. Keep doing that till he gives up. A quick swat on the back of his diaper would most likely do the trick. Some people say swatting the back of the hands work too, but it doesn't take much to make that hurt, and a diapered butt is well padded.

consistancy is what is the big key. He is like this because he is more comfotble with you because he is withyou all day. not dad. So don't take his behavior in a bad way.
    Anonymous

• I think a swat should probably do it too. (mind, it may take a few different instances- this is conditioning, really).
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 7:25 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Thanks for the advice ladies. I told him once he turned 1 he was old enough for a pop on the butt, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it......yet. He's cruising for a poppin' this week though! LOL. So cute when he is naughty too. It's hard to punish him.
    FertMert

Answer by FertMert at 7:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Don't let him go back to what you just took him from. If need be, swat him on the diapered butt, when you say no in a firm voice.

He is pushing limits because of his age, and becasue he feels secure exploring his enviorment with you. As frustrating as it is, and as much as it is needed that you discipline him, understand that this is a good sign that he feels safe and comfy with you. Thats a good thing!! Try not to look at his curiosity and free will as a negitive situation, just somthing that need to be guided. And what he is doing is very normal.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 7:30 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Never give in. Because you are home all day with him he knows he can wear you down to the point that you'll give up. With dad, not the case, he doesn't know if dad will give in because he's not home all day with him. This is just what I have concluded with my 2yo. I have the same problem. Daddy says no and she runs to time out and cries. I say no and she laughs and does it again. Time outs work for me, taking the item away where they cannot reach it (my 2yo lost her crayons for a week because she kept drawing on the walls), a distraction they are interested in. Good luck! I know how you're feeling
    avpriddis

Answer by avpriddis at 1:06 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• All I can say is just be VERY consistant and your son will get it. Sometimes it just takes time.
    mommy_2_Hayden

Answer by mommy_2_Hayden at 1:50 AM on Nov. 1, 2008

• 1 is a good time to swat him on the butt?? i started earlier than that! at 9 months is when i started swatting him on the back of the hand if he got into something he wasn't supposed to (after saying no and taking him away from him twice) let's just say he hasn't touched a socket since. he is very good with listening to me when i say no. yes he likes to test his limits, he's 19 months now, but he knows what he's not allowed to do, and which ones get him into "big" trouble and what gets him in "little" trouble. he doesn't go near the "big troubles", he just likes to test the "little troubles" (big troubles are like touching a socket, stuffing a cracker down 13 week old sisters' mouth, ect. little troubles are like turning the tv off, or taking a couple of books off the bookshelf.)
    Anonymous