Moms who knows about Singer Sewing Machines--HELP!

dH just brought me home a Singer sewing machine. It's a 403 model. They are suppose to be very sturdy, but I have to find the cam hats to change the stitch. Which isn't hard, but my real questions is, what does a slant needle mean? And does it mean I have to use special needles to replace the one there?

Hollea

Asked by Hollea at 9:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Hobbies & Crafts

• Wow that is an old machine, I am not sure what you mean by a slanted needle though because if my needle is slanted it is usually a bad thing it means it is bent and I need to replace it. However I do know some models come with a slanted needle but I am not really sure what it is used for. I would try googleing the model and see what you can find out about it.
    danis3plus2

Answer by danis3plus2 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I don't have a singer, but look at your needle when you take it out of the machine. Is it round near the top, or is it round on one side and flat at the back? You can take it with you to the sewing store. Since this is an older model, you may have to special order the needles, and there's no guarantee that you will be abel to get them. Singers are no longer made in the U.S., they are manufactured in China now, and it can be very difficult...and sometimes impossible to get parts for them. sometimes the only way to get them is from another old machine.

Good luck, I would watch ebay for parts and needles, and talk to your local singer dealer.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:38 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Go to the singer website you could probalby download the manual for the machine and get most of your answers there if not they do have a questions forum on there where you may be able to get answers
    StefInfection

Answer by StefInfection at 11:18 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I was curious and looked up the model:

http://blog.sew-classic.com/2008/10/25/singer-401-401a-403--403a--404--sewing-machine-review.aspx

That's a really old machine.  I think my mom or gramma used to have one like that when I was really little.  I actually still have a sewing desk that has the knee control for these old machines (as opposed to new machines that have the foot control).

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010