Is it selfish?

I am a sahm. I am young. 22. I have a degree in Paralegal Studies, and I love what I do (or used to do).. My DH provides for us, he does not complain about it at all, he is happy to do so. He loves having his dinner on the table when he gets home and that I am there all day to take care of our son and our home. I used to be happy with that. I am not anymore. I don't know if I want to do that anymore.. Is that selfish?

Luisa621

Asked by Luisa621 at 9:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Money & Work

• No, it's not selfish. There are people who would rather work than stay home. Do you get "Mommy Time?" I definitely need Mommy Time a few times a Month (Nails, Pedi etc) I personally have the best of both worlds. I work from home and I love it! I'm home with my kids, but I still get to interact with other Moms. I love it! Have you thought about working from home? I am a stay at home Mommy to my 3 year old son, and 20 month old daughter. I work with a great team of Moms; we help each other create income from home. No parties, No inventory! Free website, training, and unlimited support!!
    I would love to give you more information and help you reach your financial goals!

Erika
    Proud Member of Internet CEO Moms!
    Helping MOMS Work from Home since 1999!
    Visit my website:
    www.OurCEOMom.com
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 2:18 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• No its not selfish....some women do not enjoy being sahms- my mom wanted to work, she got bored staying home- I love staying home! Every women is differant so I say do what makes you happy : )
    haydensmommy009

Answer by haydensmommy009 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I don't think so, but I know that I am not cut out to be a SAHM. I really like my job, I like that I am good at something other than being a parent. I think some moms are meant to SAH and others are not. But that is just my opinion...
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 9:54 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• First I would recommend finding a creative outlet for yourself. Do you have any mom friends? There is so many mom groups out there you just need to find the one that fits you. For me it's HMN(Holistic Moms Network). Look for a passion you can enjoy now. You might also get something from this book Radical Homemakers by Shannon Hayes. It is so not the bk I thought it was going to be. It puts a whole new spin on society. Before going back to work do some research and explore whats out there to see if you can be happy and fulfilled w/out being a "working" mom.  If you find after all that, that you want to work well you can decide than.

Lynette

Answer by Lynette at 10:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Your feelings are not selfish! It sounds like you have a good handle on the duties you have done for your family up until now and are ready to add to that. Are you thinking you want to go back to work? Or maybe some volunteer work on the side would be just as fufulling, and be great on a resume, too. Maybe there is something you and your child can do together - like scouts (you volunteer as an adult), or something at your church or a homeless shelter. There are lots of volunteer opportunities out there :)
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:36 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Especially as a Paralegal, you might be able to find something in your field that you can do from home and so have it both ways ! I did the same thing - I went from working at a medical office to medical transcription from home so I could still do what I loved and be home with my daughter as well (although I also had health issues that kept me home as well).
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• No, not at all. You're an educated woman with her own mind and own identity. Sometimes I feel that when we become moms we're except to be nothing else, but you have to be your own person, too. Do what makes you happy.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:40 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Nope, not selfish. If he thinks it is, you can tell him about the awesome things you can do with BOTH of you working.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 2:57 PM on Nov. 4, 2010