Our first slumber party

I am planning my daughter's first slumber party for next month when she turns 7. Any suggestions on how to make the night memorable for her and her guests (and survivable for me). :) I'm only inviting 6 girls.

mom22littlegirl

Asked by mom22littlegirl at 10:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I would have some games, movies or crafts planned. The kids can get crazy if there isn't much structure- good luck and have fun!!
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:12 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree with the above poster. Try to keep sugary snacks to a minimum as well as caffinated drinks. An age appropriate movie around 10 pm with the girls already in jammies will have 1/2 of them asleep while watching. Just tell your daughter ahead of time that you expect all talking to end at a predetermined time.

And for breakfast the next morning, I found that frozen waffles heated in the oven makes and easy and quick breakfast.
    MeggieSwan

Answer by MeggieSwan at 10:15 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• skittles is on the right track. The only thing that I would recommend would be a disposable camera for them to take pictures. My daughter has always loved pictures and then made collages with them. If you have a digital camera and a good color printer, sending the girls home with a photo of the fun they had would be a good keep sake for them and it will give you something else to do but yet you are doing it for them. Good luck and have fun.
    marchar2002

Answer by marchar2002 at 10:18 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• The other ladies have some great idea's! This advice from my dd's first slumber party. Have plan B prepared for every parent of the children are coming. Because.........someone very well want to go home when it starts getting dark out or even in the middle of the night. Make sure that they know you will call if there child cant be consoled and they will need to come get them. Whew........I had two little girls who "fed off each other crying" screaming and hyperventilating because they wanted to go home at 2am and I couldnt get ahold of there parents. I couldnt leave and take them home due to the other kids.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My daughter had slumber parties every year from K-8. We usually had around 20 girls - some years were a hit, some not. We always planned a large activity (i.e. making homemade pizzas, making jewelry, making ornaments, but our biggest hit was scavenger hunts for food to give to the needy - they absolutely loved it, it took 2-3 hours, it was a win, win, win). We always had age appropriate movies for late night and our biggest junk food was popcorn. I may still have the list of food items we collected for our local food bank and the rules (we broke the kids into 2 groups so each group had a parent with them). If you would like it, just message me and I'll forward to you.
    MomIWant

Answer by MomIWant at 9:58 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• 6 girls. You are brave. haha Honestly, my son is 11 and we had three boys (4 total with my son) and it was insane. No sleep and total mess and one of the boys put a hole in the wall!! eek! Just make sure you keep them entertained and don't give them too much sugar. Good luck.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:03 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• take them roller skateing them home and a movie that they might
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 12:05 PM on Nov. 6, 2010