Regressing in potty training

My 3 (almost 4) year old high functioning autistic son was doing great potty training for about a month now! Then last week he was very sick for like 5 days, well now that he is better he is having a ton of accidents and just doesn't tell me when he needs to go potty anymore, any tricks to get him back on track? Thanks :)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Im sorry to hear that...what he's going through can be comepletely normal. Remember to praise him and be encouraging...try the ol cheerios trick....worked for my boys at that age...make it a game (and reward him afterward!)
    DonnaMulvey

Answer by DonnaMulvey at 10:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• In my experience, there is nothing you can do. You just have to wait until he decides he's ready again. My now 2 1/2 yr old daughter started potty training on her own at 13 months, by 18 months she was fully potty trained. We moved a few weeks after her 2nd birthday and she regressed. There was nothing I could do to change her mind, even putting her back in diapers. About a week ago she came to me and said "mommy, I'm not going to potty on myself anymore." Well do you know, that little shit hasn't had an accident since. Just goes to show you how smart they really are. I think it's just something they know they have control over and try to hold on to it as long as possible. I wouldn't recommend punishing him or praising him when he does good. I found that doing both of these only made things worse. It's when I started to ignore it that she finally decided she was ready again.
    BitsMom00

Answer by BitsMom00 at 10:27 PM on Nov. 2, 2010