What type of dog is best for family pet?

WhitneyMommyOf2

Asked by WhitneyMommyOf2 at 10:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Pets

• The Best Family Dog you will ever find is one that is sitting in a cage at the Shelter waiting to find a New Home so they can give all their Love to you & be your Very Best Friend:)

daisyb

Answer by daisyb at 10:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• golden retrievers are good dogs too..i have one, and he is awesome with my daughter..she rides him around like a horse, and they both have a blast!! but they too, take a loooong time to mature..we got him when he was 4 months old..and at about 6 months he started being a major pain..LOL..he was digging holes EVERYWHERE in the yard, eating trees, chewing shoes, socks, towels, dishrags, stuffed animals, dolls...anything and everything he could get a hold of..he FINALLY stopped doing this, about 4 months ago..and he just turned 3 yrs old a couple weeks ago..but he really is a good dog, i wouldnt trade him for anything, but they do need lots of attention, lots of exercise, lots of mental stimulation. but they are verrrry loyal, loving dogs!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 10:55 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Any dog as long as they fit your life style. If you take the time to properly train and socialize a dog any one of them will make a wonderful part of the family.
    KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 5:48 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Labs, the best family dogs out there! But be forewarned, HORRIBLE when they are puppies and that usually lasts for the first 2 years. If you can get through that phase you will have the best dog ever!

shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 10:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Personally... I would take my pitbull above any dog... I have seen people be attacked by everything from chows to shepards to even retrievers but have yet to see a pit actually attack someone and I grew up around them.
    justduckie_mom

Answer by justduckie_mom at 10:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I would go with a lab.
    mommytoJames512

Answer by mommytoJames512 at 10:28 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I like labs. :)
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 10:33 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It depends on your lifestyle and the age of your children. If you are energetic and have the time for daily walks/jogs, labs are GREAT dogs. But I've learned that they are high energy- I read that they were before I brought one home, but I understimated just how much exercise and mental stimulation she would need. I would go to the shelter and look around and see if you and your family can spend time with a few different dogs.
    VeggieMuslima

Answer by VeggieMuslima at 10:45 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Personally I find a shih-tzu makes a wonderful pet.
    SwtRose

Answer by SwtRose at 12:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• We have a Golden Retriever and a Lab and they are both great with our Grandaughter
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 3:52 PM on Nov. 3, 2010