The Republicans state that they want to take their country back. What does that mean?

Many African Americans feel that it means that they (white republicans) are afraid of African Americans and fear retribution from slavery and racism in general.

The Republicans state that they want to take their country back. What does that mean to you?

35yoamom

Asked by 35yoamom at 10:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• An erroneous claim as the country has belonged to ALL the people whether Republican, Democrat, Independant, etc. What I think it means is they (republicans) want to be in "political control" but it's not "their" country, it's everyone's country
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 10:34 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• What does that mean to you?

That you can't ever post your 5 questions without trying to start a racism fight. It has nothing to do with color. It does have to do with the balance of power, in which no single party should ever have control of both the executive and legislative branches at the same time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Well, I'll tell you one thing. It has nothing to do with African Americans. Maybe for dome weirdo, racist, extremists, but not by most.This isn't the first time this phrase has been uttered. I'm sure people still wanted to "take their country back" long before we had a black president. Why does the race card ALWAYS have to be pulled? They mean they want to hold more power of it politically.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:35 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think it means the current administration is not doing a great job, has nothing to do with color and everything to do with unkept promises.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I agree 110% with NotPanicking... Not everything needs to be about race, religion, gender... It's about fixing our country. With a democrat as president and a democrat controlled congress, there are no checks and balances taking place. I fully believe that when there is a democratic president, there should be republican controlled congress. When there is a republican president, the Dems should control the congress. I think you are just trying to start drama with this post... and I really don't think you'll find what you're looking for here.
    SAHMomOf3

Answer by SAHMomOf3 at 10:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• "that despite their white privilege, white people are still afraid. They’re afraid to face that some of what they have is unearned. They’re afraid of losing what they have if at some point the economic, political and social systems become more equitable. They’re afraid that non-white people may see through them and notice their hidden racism. And their final fear is this:
    "

I disagree with that. He's making all white people seem like racists. I'm not afraid of anything like that.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:30 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I think it means different things to different people, but I hear a lot of conservatives talk about giving power back to states and/or individuals depending on the topic and they often talk about upholding constitution (and seem to think they're the only ones who want to do this???). I don't really believe Republicans want a smaller government (even though they say they do), they just want a different government than Democrats do. Just my opinion. Personally, I'd like to take my country FORWARD.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Sister, gosh I am so sorry, I guess I didn't get the memo. No one told me that I couldn't express my opinion, if it happened to differ from yours! And I didn't realize that this was your post. I merely answered this question as I saw fit, and I happen to think God belongs everywhere, so why don't you stick to the post and stop attacking posters who aren't EVEN speaking to you. You are attacking me for my personal values and frankly I think what you have said to me is rude and uncalled for!
    agentwanda

Answer by agentwanda at 12:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Wow I agree they want their country back from haters and other people who live here with no concern for this country and why does it always come down to a black and white racist fight ?? My family is a mixture of that and we are tired of the race card being used and slavery was not our bag and is not our card. I am biracial and even my father who is mixed considers himself just an American.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 10:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Thats stupid. Where on earth did you hear that? That saying has nothing to do with blacks. IF your statement is true then it is true that blacks are the reason racism keeps on plugging along. This is a political saying and it has nothing to do with any ones race.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:09 AM on Nov. 3, 2010