How do you feel about this?

There is a study that was just discussed on ABC News that says that highly educated people (college graduates with at least a bachelor's degree and goes up in percentage with master's and doctorate degrees) people, especially women, tend to be mostly democrats and that those with less of an education tend to be republicans.

FeelinYummy

Asked by FeelinYummy at 10:46 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.american.com/archive/2009/october/are-liberals-smarter-than-conservatives

The bottom line is that a political debate will never be resolved by measuring the IQs of groups on each side of the issue. Even if certain positions tend to be held by less intelligent people, there will usually be plenty of sharp thinkers who take the same side. Rather than focus on the intellectual deficiencies, real or imagined, of certain politicians and their supporters, people should strive to find the best and brightest spokesmen for the opposing side.

There is a certain devilish fun to contemplating the intelligence of liberals and conservatives, but it should have no effect on how we think about issues. Political debates would be better without it

sweet-a-kins

Answer by sweet-a-kins at 11:03 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• That it's typical liberal rhetoric,and being on ABC, I'm not surprised they'd spew garbage like that. But, if it helps em feel better over the HUGE losses tonight, whatever.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 10:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• That's kind of funny, I was a democrat BEFORE I was educated, but now I'm voting republican.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• LOL! Well I defy that! :D I have a master's and am not Democrat.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 10:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• ABC and you expect this to be an accurate picture??

Let's see...among the educated in my family...how many conservatives...me, dh, sis 1, sis 2, bil 1, bil 2..hubby's side..3 brothers, 2 sisters, 2 bils, 3 sils..a mom & dad...............do you want me to branch out further??? I haven't covered my friends or neighbors either...

yourspecialkid

Answer by yourspecialkid at 10:58 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I know many uneducated Dems and Reps. I have a degree, I am not dem or rep. lol. I am smarter then both parties.
    1Giovanni

Answer by 1Giovanni at 1:14 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• hmmm I was a democrat before college, I'm a democrat now, and I'll probably still be a democrat when I graduate...I don't think education has anything to do with it.
    Dark-N-Prego

Answer by Dark-N-Prego at 10:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I've heard that before.

I also think it's interesting that so much of the Conservative rhetoric is about "academic elitists" or "intellectual elitists"--implying that there's something inherently wrong with having a degree in higher education (for those Conservatives out there who haven't gone past fourth grade,  "academic elitists" would translate to the more folksy term "learned folk"--you know, people with them there fancy degrees from those there fancy colleges).

Talk like that will keep our population undereducated and trailing behind other countries that take education seriously. . .

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:56 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• YSK, same in my house. We are all VERY educated, and we are all Conservatives,and will stay that way.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 11:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• You know the pld cliche about statistics and lies....
    cmlkb

Answer by cmlkb at 1:06 AM on Nov. 3, 2010