Should I take him to the dentist?

My husband made our son a dentist appointment because he has a V shaped chip at the bottom of his top front tooth. It does not seem to hurt him. Hubby was going to take him but he has something else he has to do tomorrow so he asked me to take him to the appointment. I have a million other things to do and am debating if I am going to take him or not because in my mind its just a baby tooth it will come out. Its not hurting him, whats the big deal? Thoughts?

mommytoJames512

Asked by mommytoJames512 at 10:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I'm a back office dental assistant, take him! He is young and will not loose it for awhile. If he doesn lose it early it can mess up his adult teeth coming later because the other baby teeth will move to close the gap.
    A broken tooth can lead to decay, decay travels and will hit his adult tooth. You are born with all your teeth, they are like any other bone and grow with age but it's in there.
    By not taking him you are looking at deffrinate pain and much more money later on. His health should be your priority, tooth decay can lead to other heath problems in your whole body when left untreated.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 10:57 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It could always get worse. It's probably a good idea to take him in just in case. If it's no big deal, then great...but if it's something that needs to be fixed you will be doing your part. =) Good luck!
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 10:53 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My dd at 1 fell on our tile. Chipped her 2 front teeth. I rushed her into the dentist, who took xrays and no nerve damage. His advice wa to put little caps on both teeth. meaning put her to sleep to have it done. I called another denist whos advice was if its not damaged leave it alone. If needed bring her in to sand it down so it wouldn't be sharp. She also said she would never consider putting a one year old to sleep. I went with her advice. My dd's teeth give her some personality. She will be 5 and no issues. Wouldn't hurt to take him just to make sure.
    Iluvmy5

Answer by Iluvmy5 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2010