if she has surgery to get tubes

Surgery for a 3 yr what do you tell them, what don't u tell them? I pretty sure she will need tubes 4 her ears but she my first baby and only 3 I feel for the pain she in now and has had for more then 2months now but I'm little scared about the whole thing

3momamber

Asked by 3momamber at 10:47 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Kids' Health

• As with Bmat, the hospital my kids went to did the same. I had a 2 year old get eye surgery and a (now 3 1/2) year old get her tonsils/adenoids removed at 2 1/2....they did wonderful. Your child is young...they'll let you go back with them and hold them while they put them under so they feel "safe"...and she'll forget about it after a couple days. Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

Answer by mainemusicmaker at 5:32 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• The hospital where we had my son's done offered a pre-surgery get together a week or so before the surgery for the children to visit the hospital, the surgery room, try on a hair covering, exam the anesthesia mask, and so forth. We told him that the doctor would give him something to make him sleepy, that he would not feel the surgery, and that the doctor would put tubes in his ears that would help him hear better.

Answer by Bmat at 10:52 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I would keep things as simple as possible, I think that most drs will be really good about explaining things. Good luck!
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 4:18 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I'm pretty sure we're going to be facing this soon. DS has another appointment with his ENT in 2 weeks and we're going to be asking him to do tubes. Anyhow, as far as talking to our son (he's also 3) about it, I intend to keep it pretty simple and just tell him, probably the day before, that the doctor is going to give him special medicine to help him go to sleep and, while he's asleep, he's going to put something in his ear that will help keep the ear monsters from coming. I'll let him know that his ears will hurt afterward, but we'll give him medicine to help it feel better and once they start feeling better, he shouldn't have ear monsters as much. (He calls ear infections ear monsters.)
    This will be his second surgery. He's been under once before, for hernia repair, so I think DH and I will be ok, as far as waiting. I understand its a relatively quick procedure.
    mom2ljh

Answer by mom2ljh at 11:13 PM on Nov. 4, 2010

• explain as simply as possible
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:59 PM on Nov. 4, 2010