Is it tacky? Be Honest.

A family have a child with a genetic condition. Even with company health insurance, there are still thousands of dollars of health costs. Is it tacky for the family to do a charity cookcook to raise funds to cover medical costs. Is it the equivilant of throwing your own baby shower or panhandling.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• no it's not tacky they should do what they have to do
    Keyonsmom

Answer by Keyonsmom at 11:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Hell no if you cannot shout for your own needs or put it out there who will. I had two kids and I got no baby shower if I would have had any sense I would have done it myself.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:04 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I think it may be a little tacky, but not if it were a family member or friend throwing the cookout for them.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Definitely not. Some hospital bills can be in the tens and hundreds of thousands and can put families in debt! There is nothing wrong with having a fundraiser to help out.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 11:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I would think not. When its your child you will do anything. If they get to far in debt they can lose their car and how will they get the child to Dr. appointments. They could lose their house and that would greatly affect the child. I would buy one just to help them out. Maybe the community could do something for them.

Here local groups will perform and donate all the money and they have bake sales and car washes. In fact there was a car wash 2 weeks ago for a man that needs a kidney and a fundraiser for a teen thats needs a liver.
    cassey.e

Answer by cassey.e at 11:07 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• People in my area do it all the time. It's definitely not tacky, especially when a person's health is involved.
    Fallaya

Answer by Fallaya at 11:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Not tacky at all! Their child needs medical help! It's not like they are throwing a cookout to raise money for a vacation.... now that would be tacky!
    Rachie7987

Answer by Rachie7987 at 11:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Who cares about being tacky when someone is dying is that really all that bothers people? When my son had cancer I would have done anything and did give up a lot. In the end your pride means nothing and you will do anything for the people even the child or children love.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• not tacky...times are tough, you do what you gotta do.
    AprylnAtticus

Answer by AprylnAtticus at 11:22 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I should also add Its not a fatal genetic disorder - but chronic and expensive. Testing for the disorder, orthoses, physical therapy were not/are not being covered by insurance to the tune of about $20k so far and more bills roll in every month due to high out of pocket maxiumum.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2010