Do you think the united states should split?

We have so many people so far on their sides that nothing is getting done. The two parties keep fighting to undo the other. Do you think it would be better to split the country? One side can have the high taxes, healthcare, abortions, pot and the other can have guns, low taxes, and whatever else the republicans want. Civil war aside...do you think it would be easier?

sunshine58103

Asked by sunshine58103 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• THIS is exactly why we have states. The federal government should be staying out of social issues and leaving them up to states and cities. Everything from education, healthcare, abortion, welfare, etc... it should all be handled by states. This allows everyone to choose where they live within our great country and still be happy with the way things are run.

The federal government should be only for national security and interstate relations. Somewhere along the line, the feds got greedy and we ended up with this mess and a complete inability to agree on anything.
    LeanneC

Answer by LeanneC at 1:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You know focusing on that whole "Under God" thing is one of the things making this country so divided as it IS a melting pot of several different people,religions, and cultures. However the "United we stand, Divided we Fall" still holds true.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 11:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• no because extremists on both sides need moderates to keep them in check. when there are too many of one side in power they get greedy and do stupid things. id rather have a united country of fighters than a divided country of extremists. honestly i dont want to live on the Dem side and i dont want to live on the GOP side...both sides are screwy when taken all the way left or right. i dont want to live in a country ruled by high hippies who think minorities (including women) must be handed everything they want b/c they were oppressed...but i dont want to live in a country ruled by uber conservative Christians that refuse to help those in need b/c they are "lazy". and all the other stereotypical things on both sides.

i want to live in America...where the right balances out the left and the left balances out the right and we end up somewhere in the middle...well most of the time.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 11:31 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• No. Everybody (politicians) needs to quit the finger pointing and arguing and start working together.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 11:09 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• One nation under well you get it a house divided cannot stand.
    pinkdragon36

Answer by pinkdragon36 at 11:06 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Yep. One nation UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE! It's sad, but it is dividing, and PD, you are right, a house divided against itself cannot stand. All we can do is see what happens from here, and hope someone gets into Washington that actually cares about us.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 11:08 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Tara, I know we don't agree on much, but I have to say, I agree with what you wrote. You are 100% right on that one.
    jaycietaylorgma

Answer by jaycietaylorgma at 11:10 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• my hubby and I have been saying that for a long time. lol

"Divided we fall' one side would fall and that is because they will be getting high, no one will be working and no money is coming in so they will die waiting for the Government to feed them.

Can you guess which side would die?
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 11:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• No. It didn't work in the 1860s. Lots of people died, don'tcha know?
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Honestly, NO, I would never want that. But it does seem that we should have REGIONS. We are "culturally" divided. Everyone deserves to live their life freely. I may be more into Regions than States. Sooner the better. It is really bad, and I'm not someone you can pigeonhole politically. I am open to debate-but I learn from the past. 'those who forget the past are doomed to repeat it'. I feel as though there are so many self centered leaders in this country now, that they are serving their own personal desires and not that of this nation, which has been fought over so so much in order to reach this point that we had reached. We have never been at a perfect time, but we were always moving forward, only foolish blind people can't see that we are moving backward. And ohhh how painfully long and hollow that trip will be for "our children".
    Peyote

Answer by Peyote at 11:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2010