My son went from and honor roll student to a low C student in weeks??

My son is starting to go thru puberty. He is very intelligent but has gone from an A student to low Cs. He lies about his homework and test scores. Im in constant contact w/ his teachers and check his school planner daily. I have taken away his tv,computer, and cell phone. He is often "in another world" but always has been. When I ask him whats going on he always answers " I dont know" Im at my witts end, any advise??

rrdaf4

Asked by rrdaf4 at 11:05 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Bullies, friends, drugs, home problems?? I'm not excited for my kids to be teenagers.

Maybe find someone or way to show him how important education is, like having someone (sometimes mom isn't cool enough) show him different careers. Does he have older siblings, cousins, aunts or uncles to look up to? Maybe big brother program?
    sunshine58103

Answer by sunshine58103 at 11:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Honestly, get him tested for ADD/ADHD and Dyslexia. My parents ignored my sudden drop in school, punished me instead, watched me work my butt off for a 3.0 and never reach it and when I went to college I got myself tested and found out I am ADHD and Dyslexic. If it's not that great but don't miss it if it is.
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 11:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Instead of punishing him maybe you should sit down with him and try to figure out what the problem is, have him bring all of his homework home for you to go over with him every night. Find out what tests are coming up and work out a schedule to study for them with you, who knows maybe for some reason school isn't coming as easy to him right now, or maybe something else is bothering him but I don't think that punishing his is the best idea if there is something else going on he is going to be more willing to talk to you if you are trying to help and understand and so quick to punish him.
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 11:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• if he was an a student... are u sure he isnt getting bored? the work is "beneath" him..
    also sometimes school can come easy .. you get a's & kinda get use to it all just happening.. then something hits you & you have to start trying/ studying/ applying yourself & its hard... you start to feel stupid...

Ask him what he thinks of his school work. easy? hard? bored? interesting? whats his view on teachers, are they cool. smart. good on discipline? (kids like discipline if its done "right")... or does he think they are all stupid. old FuddyDuddies.

Good Luck!
    MommaTasha1003

Answer by MommaTasha1003 at 12:27 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Welcome to the teens world... School, Tv, friends put a lot stress on their heads, and they just want to belong...."peer influences" will overtake same time all our daily advices... They will look at you and say OK MOM.... and turn around and forget about it!!... I will say (like we do) take one day at the time...... Mine cut his eyebrows like a gangster... They will grow out of it.... Just try to survive the stage!

Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 7:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2010