I feel terrible

I have a teen age son with a filthy mounth recently, and I cant stnad it anymore today he made a disgusting comment and I slapped his mouth. I am really against hitting, but I couldnt help I feel terrible!!!!!! I just cant figure out why he is talking like this and as a reaction I smacked him, is this a terrible thing to do?

AvatModelMommie

Asked by AvatModelMommie at 11:11 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• You should never slap a child in the face. Next time you feel overwhelmed, you should walk outside and get some fresh air and calm down. Showing violence is only hurting you and him, not helping anything. Do you have a support system....someone to talk to about your frustrations and get advice from? It really helps to be able to talk things through with someone, but please don't hit him. You are setting him up for self destruction.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:14 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Well, I think it's wrong to do, but I think you've learned your lesson. You now realize how bad it has made you feel and how you don't want to do it again. Just learn from it, apologize to him, and don't beat yourself up over it.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 11:20 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• As a teen he is trying to find his independence in the world and fitting in with the crowd. Unfortunately the crowd all suffers from serious potty mouth. Maybe try a swear jar one dollar for every swear word you hear him say and if he gets an allowance you could say for every swear word I will deduct 1 dollar from your allowance you may end up making money this way and he may learn a lesson on how to use his words properly.
    danis3plus2

Answer by danis3plus2 at 11:25 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Heard the term, "This hurts me more than it hurts you." ? I will thump lips or wash a mouth out with soap, when they're of the age to KNOW BETTER.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Geez....so she smacked his mouth ONCE. It's not like he's 4....he's a teenager. I'm sure he's had ample warning after warning about his language. I don't believe in hitting either, but I don't think he's on the road to self-destruction. And I'm willing to bet anything that she got his attention this time. Give yourself a break Mama. Welcome to the human race.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 11:29 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Let me rephrase that....You should never slap another person in the face ( I don't care if they are 2 or 22!)....unless you are in immediate danger and are defending yourself of course.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• His prob herd other kids in the playground saying it and his just picked it up along the way. If u tell him to be more respectfull and he doesn't then start taking things away from him. Hell soon learn u won't put up with iy
    mellibear

Answer by mellibear at 11:43 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Mellibear? I believe she said her son was a teenager. I don't think he picked it up off a playground. lol

I wouldn't beat yourself up about smacking him. I think you need to sit down and have a talk with him that you don't like the language he is using and that he might use it around his friends, but it unacceptable in your house and of course apologize for loosing your temper.
    SwtRose

Answer by SwtRose at 12:02 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I agree with LovingSAHMommy. I am with you, OP, in that I disagree with hitting. But, we're human. Just have a candid conversation with your son. Tell him that you were dead wrong to slap him but that you were extremely offended by his language and did not know how to react. Tell him that in order for you to both live more happily, he needs to see how this language hurts others and actively banish it from his vocabulary. It's all about learning to adjust to live with each other harmoniously. Admitting you were wrong and apologizing gives him a model for what he should do. It isn't about being perfect. HUGS!
    Bellarose0212

Answer by Bellarose0212 at 3:21 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Nope , I wouldn't feel bad... If he knows the rules in the house, and openly challenge you and curse...!.. There you go! I am old school in that dept... My boys are much taller than me... But if I have to swing one at them (even if it doesn't hurt) I DO IT!

Monica655

Answer by Monica655 at 5:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2010