Is humping things normal for young girls??

My daughter started humping things when she was about 1 year old. She humps blankets, stuffed animals, toys, etc on a regular basis. My mom has caught her doing it on her living room couch watching TV. Everytime I see her do it I freak out. My reaction is to get after her and tell her not to do it. She is now 9 and I caught her doing it again. This time she was humping her hand. From day one we have told her not to "lay on things". Is this normal? When she first started doing it I read that she would grow out of it, but 8 years later it is still going on. I asked her tonight why she does it and she said that she doesn't know. I don't know what I should do.

lovemykids2010

Asked by lovemykids2010 at 11:13 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• To her, it's probably not anything dirty. Maybe it's like a comfort thing like rocking?
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 11:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I did it. Started before I can remember and did it all throughout childhood, My parents called it "scooting". Why did I do it? Simply put - it felt good. While I was sexually abused as a kid, I started doing that LONG beforehand.

I wouldn't worry about it. It's a child's form of masturbation. I'd concentrate on teaching her about appropriate times and places...
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:19 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• It is totally normal and the more you tell her not to the more she will do it, but learn to be sneaky. She will also keep sexual things from you later.

That is what happened with my mom and I.

Just tell her to only do it in her room and that it is private and she should keep it so. I would also tell her it is a normal part of growing up.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:21 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• yes this is normal, my daughter has been doing since about a year old as well and will be 7 soon. i talked to her dr. about it a few years ago and her advice was to not punish her but to express that that is something that she can do when she is by herself. this has worked for my daughter, if i do catch her doing it i just say, remember thats something we do we do when we are alone. and also adding the "we" part helps her feel like what she is doing isnt wrong, because its not.
    momslikeme366

Answer by momslikeme366 at 11:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Also, don't make a big deal out of it, and try not to refer to it as "dirty". I know it's awkward, but doing those things could give her a skewed view of all things sexual later in life.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 11:23 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My sister has done the same thing since I can remember, and she's 9 also. We've always just told her to do it when she's alone, not when other people are present. And I don't know WHY she does it, SHE doesn't know why either.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 11:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• So even though I have freaked out on her I should tell her it is normal? I hope that I have not hurt her at all.
    lovemykids2010

Comment by lovemykids2010 (original poster) at 11:24 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• I would tell her that it weirded you out, but now you know it is part of normal development and you are sorry for being so harsh about it. She will totally respect you for leveling with her.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:30 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• – collapse
    no this not normal this child has been touch please have doctor check her now
    dutchcanadain

Answer by dutchcanadain at 12:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 (hidden) + expand

• Oh, dutchcanadain, take a chill pill. You remind me of my mother. In this case, that's not a compliment. Masturbation IS normal, and while it is possible someone has touched her, this is not proof of such a happening.
    DusterMommy

Answer by DusterMommy at 12:20 AM on Nov. 3, 2010