How do you get a 5 year old to eat veggies?

My son just turned 5 and he still refuses to eat any veggies for Me however he will eat them at school so I found out today. He will cover his mouth and scream if i tell him to try a little bite. I asked him why he wont try it and he tells me it will make him sick. Unfortionately when I get him to try it he "gets sick", to nicely put for the parents with sensitive stomach. What should I try he is starting to have bowel problems and I think it is because of his lack of veggies.

csnydermom

Asked by csnydermom at 11:26 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in General Parenting

• Does he like cheese? I found covering veggies with cheese helps or offer chopped veggies with a dip, like ranch dressing .
    SwtRose

Answer by SwtRose at 11:32 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• He doesn't like carrot sticks or like celery and peanut butter? You can always puree like carrots and mix it into mac n cheese or spread it on inside a grilled cheese. I sometimes mince up mushrooms and add them to a cheese omelet. They never know and absolutely love my cheese omelets. I heard Kohl's just had a book for sale on hiding veggies in food. How about beans in Chili? Spaghetti or Sloppy Joe's...its tomato sauce. My kids still have to eat a no thank you helping
    Momforhealth

Answer by Momforhealth at 11:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My younger sister had that issue with her son and we just started chopping them up so fine he didn't realize he was actually eating veggies. You could also try making them into fun shapes such as star shaped cucumbers, boats out of carrots and bell peppers, Like swtrose suggested dipping sauces and cheese also may make them more friendly to young eaters. Good luck
    danis3plus2

Answer by danis3plus2 at 11:36 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• He only likes grilled cheese lol but he loves raw carrots and ranch according to his teachers..I tried broccoli and cheese and he said it was disgusting...I love veggies so he isn't getting it from me..
    csnydermom

Comment by csnydermom (original poster) at 11:38 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• he will eat spaghetti but no sloppy joes, and no chilli either but I will look for the book and all of your answers are interesting and I will try just about anything..he also is not a meat eater for some reason..only chicken nuggets/patty's and fish sticks..oh yeah peanutbutter, I always forget it is a meat..
    csnydermom

Comment by csnydermom (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• He doesn't get to eat any of the things he likes until he eats his veggies. Then it's still his choice, to some degree, and you don't have to force him. But you do have to be tough and not give in.
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 12:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• what is a "no thank you helping"??????
    Kat204

Answer by Kat204 at 12:21 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• First, at 5, your kid should already have a diet that consists of veggies. Why have you waited until now to start giving him veggies?

Anyway, give him no choice. Its veggies or nothing.. If he gets hungry enough, he will eat it. Justput out a plate of veggies and ranch in the living room, and make sure he does not snack on anything else. Maybe its that he doesnt want YOU to know he eats them, because THEN you will make more for him..

Sorry, but it sounds like you created this problem long ago with NOT giving him plenty of veggies.
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 12:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I had always given him veggies but he is borderline autistic and has texture problems and his doc actually told me not to force him to eat them just like you wouldn't force a child to eat when they are not hungry. He would vomit like the excersist when he ate meat or veggies starting when he was 18 months old. So in fact I did not cause this problem I just followed the directions of his pediatrition.
    csnydermom

Comment by csnydermom (original poster) at 12:37 AM on Nov. 3, 2010