What is your view on Halloween?

My hubby and I have very different aspects on Halloween we both are christian and go to a christian church. But my parents have race me different regarding Halloween. I say " there is nothing wrong with it. kids are only in for it for the candy. not for nothing else." But my hubby say" it a day that people just to worship the devil and do very cruel rituals. " So what is your point of view?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:04 PM on Oct. 31, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think we should "celebrate halloween.. however I also don't think it's a day we as Christians should hide in our homes and churches. I think we should use it as an opportunity to let the world see Jesus and His love in us. Whether by giving out candy and having an opportunity to meet ur neighbors or a church having a community event.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:09 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• It's a day I worship the devil on...
    Anonymous

• My pov is people need to be educated on the facts about the origins of Halloween.
    FishingMama

Answer by FishingMama at 7:08 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I don't think it's a problem. It doesn't actually have to do with devil worship. Pagan does not, by any means, equal devil-worship. It in pagan Ireland long long ago as a celebration of the end of harvest. Most of us have Pagan roots, if we're honest.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 7:12 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I totally agree with you bonn777. But he does not see that.
    Jamie8788

Answer by Jamie8788 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Christians have made it a problem, and "devil worshippers" have made it something they can stick it to Christians with. Silly- it's really just a celebration of the fall and the dark things that we avoid the rest of the year 'round.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 7:15 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• I think it's neat.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 7:17 PM on Oct. 31, 2008

• Halloween is great. It has nothing to do with the devil and never has. If you don't like the idea of just the candy. Teach your kids about how they "celebrate " halloween in different countries. It is something that is very interesting. to learn.
    Anonymous

• sfwilson and fishingmama: gonna try to explain why some ppl are like the OP's husband... yes many celebrations or observances etc such as Christmas and Easter have pagan roots... however in the case of Christmas - it was changed to represent the birth of Christ, Easter was changed to also represent the resurrection of Christ.. however, when it comes to Halloween we see nothing except things that are against our basic beliefs... witches, demons, darkness, etc. and it's the one day that Christians feel there is nothing Christian about it. Not all Christians feel this way but some do and that's why for them Halloween is a day they do not feel they should participate in.
    bonn777

Answer by bonn777 at 7:49 PM on Oct. 31, 2008