Should poor people never have children?

I keep hearing how one shouldn't have children unless they are financially able to provide for them. But if you're a poor person, who will most likely always be poor, does that mean you should remain childless for the rest of your life? Is financial stability the only prerequisite to being a parent?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:44 PM on Nov. 2, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I was financially secure when I was married and now my husband left me and I'm raising a special-needs child by myself and am now officially poor. Does that mean that I should feel shame because I had my little boy and I should have predicted this would happen?! Seriously, life happens.. we cannot always control how things are going to turn out.
    momofonelilguy

Answer by momofonelilguy at 12:47 AM on Nov. 4, 2010

• Of course not... I hate that "you should wait til you're financially secure" attitude. Poverty can hit anyone at any time... Just because someone seems to have financial security when they decide to breed doesn't mean they always will, companies close, jobs get lost, bankruptcy happens to the best & richest... And just because someone is poor doesn't mean they won't or can't be a good parent or that they won't or can't support their family... Change happens every day... Look at Don Trump, he grew up on welfare in a trailer... What if his parents had waited til they had money? We would be one less billionaire.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Oooh, that's a tricky question. I think it depends on what you mean by poor. If you mean on food stamps, indefinitely, then maybe not. It seems to me that most people at any level can work hard enough to provide even a simple life for their children without expecting our tax dollars to care for them their whole lives. If a person needs assistance for a time, that's ok, but probably not a good time to TTC, if you know what I mean. If a person really can't take care of themselves, and are so poor they need the government to pay for everything for them and their kids, there's more going on, IMO, and I do think maybe they shouldn't have kids.

I grew up "poor"--a.k.a. simple living. It was beautiful. I never went hungry. We were a family of 4 living on an artists income in a house that was like 800 square feet. My parents never got anything from the government. Mom gardened, no cable.... it was a great childhood!
    Adelicious

Answer by Adelicious at 11:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• if the parents are responsible and love the child and can provide the necessities in life then theres probably no problem with it.
    good question though
    meagan678

Answer by meagan678 at 11:48 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• No. I know some rich people who are lousy parents. Money doesn't make the parent. Some really great people in history have come from meager means.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:50 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• Of course not, but if you can't feed your-self than how can you take care of a baby.

The problem is some people start having kids before they have any money. Waiting does not mean never.

It is a little selfish to have kids if you can't give them a home.

You do not have to rich to have kids. Most of us would not be here.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 12:00 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I don't think they should not be allowed to, but at the same time it doesn't make sense to bring a child into the world if you can not even take care of yourself.
    MooNFaeRie30

Answer by MooNFaeRie30 at 6:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I think it's irresponsible to plan to have a child when one is not able to financially support that child without government assistance.

Yes, things happen, and one can end up there. But planning to raise a child on government assistance, knowing one is financially incapable of supporting oneself, just isn't smart.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 10:42 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I do think you should be responsible. Poor people can have children, if they want. I am not sure if it always the right thing to do.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:49 PM on Nov. 2, 2010

• My parents were poor and had kids, but they worked hard and supported us. It was a hard life, though. Growing up as I did, I waited until I was financially able before I had kids. That's just my story, though. I can't speak for everyone.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 11:51 PM on Nov. 2, 2010