My doctor wants me to put oatmeal in my 4 mo olds bottle because she has gerd and is allergic to rice. Should I do organic whole grain? Or just regular single grain? What brands are better?

chmom13

Asked by chmom13 at 12:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you have to do single grain for a baby that young and use gerber but why dont you ask your DR these kind of questions.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:07 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• It is baby oatmeal that he wants you to add.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 12:08 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• 4 months old is way early to be weaning, imo. and i think if your baby is not toleranting rice, which is the least irritating of grains, he'll sure be intolerant of oats. but, if you are determined to wean so young yes do try him with whole organic over highly processed stuff. good luck!
    softly

Answer by softly at 5:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Yes, it's baby oatmeal he is talking about
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:29 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I am not trying to wean her... she has lots of issues and isnt gaining enough weight xo she needs more calories and does better with thickened formula...so he wants to try baby oatmeal cereal.
    chmom13

Comment by chmom13 (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Starting solids is considered the beginning of weaning though most moms here don't use the word weaning that way, its more the UK and Europe.

There are ways to thicken feeds that are safer and better, theres something called Thick-it and it thickens the milk without starting solids. I doubt she is allegic to rice, I bet its becuase she sway too young for solids.

I would see a specialist about this and NOT a regular ped. I agree thickened feeds are often the way to go. Has she been given meds to help?

If she needs more calories cereals are NOT the way to go, cereal lacks the calories and nutrients babies need to grow, if she needs more calories than she needs a higher calories formula.
    tabi_cat1023

Answer by tabi_cat1023 at 10:59 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Hang in there. The fact she has gerd is being overlooked. If it's available use organic single grain.
    Anonymous