I just started using cloth dipers and my baby gets a bad rash what can i do to stop this

I have taken her to the doc and rinse them out 3 times and dont us soap with a smell

zacandparksmom

Asked by zacandparksmom at 12:25 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• soak them in the toilet before you wash them and put viniger in the rinse cycle, tricks from my aunt and a grandpa- works great!
    DonnaPinitonya

Answer by DonnaPinitonya at 12:31 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• My wash cycle - cold rinse, hot wash with soap (we use Sun and Earth), cold rinse, another cold rinse if the diapers seem sudsy. Wash them every other day at least, if you can. Good luck mama.
    Alisa415

Answer by Alisa415 at 12:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Try the above suggestions, try different detergents (never scented, of course). Give them a vinegar rinse.
    There's a great cloth diapering group on here with lots of resources listed, and you might be able to get more suggestions out of them.
    DS used to get awful rashes from cloth no matter what I tried to fix them. His skin was much happier with disposables, so we had to concede. I wasn't happy about it, but ultimately, it's about what's best for your baby.
    Good luck!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• first off what soap are you using? yes unscented is good.. but there are other ingredients in some that could bother your LO's bum.

here is a link to a great guide on soaps for cloth diapers http://www.pinstripesandpolkadots.com/detergentchoices.htm

second what kinds of diaper creams have you tried? I highly recommend the California Baby Calendula butt cream. If the rash is bad you can put it on every time you change a diaper.. but I find it very odd that your LO would get a bad rash from cloth.. to me that says you are not washing them properly and they have an irritant on them.. or they are filled with yeast and causing a yeast infection.

are you using hot water? I have a sanitary cycle on my washer and it kills everything.. are you rinsing with vinegar? it helps neutralize the diapers since urine is a base... are you avoiding harsh chemicals such as bleach? please tell us more about your washing process.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 9:12 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Strip them with super hot water and a vinegar rinse.
    ballewal

Answer by ballewal at 10:15 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• after I change her i rinse them with hot water and leave them in a bucket of hot water until i was them I wash them out everyday I have not tried vinegar I will try that i use just about every butt cream out there I will try your ideas thanks alot i am very new at this lol
    zacandparksmom

Comment by zacandparksmom (original poster) at 3:05 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You have to be very careful with the butt creams you use with cloth.. they can damage the diapers.. you probably need to strip them all.
    MamaJasmine

Answer by MamaJasmine at 10:17 PM on Nov. 4, 2010