Cloth diapers or disposable? Why do you use what you use?

Sharell8710

Asked by Sharell8710 at 12:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• I use disposable, and I'm not gonna lie, I do it for the convenience. I think the whole idea of cloth diapers seems like a pain and kinda gross. I might attempt cloth with my next baby, but for now...I'll stick with Huggies. :)
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:40 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I use cloth. I do it because its healthier and more comfy for the baby. Also cheap and eco friendly. I wouldn't want to wear paper underwear. It's not a pain at all.
    -crunchy-mama-

Answer by -crunchy-mama- at 12:43 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Huggies. There's no diaper service, and being pregnant again, I am NOT going to handle dirties myself. Sorry.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I started out with cloth, because I feel like they are more green, and they seem more comfortable for Baby. However, my son's skin had other ideas, no matter how many detergents I tried or rinses I used, so we ended up with disposables. If you're up for cloth, I suggest at least trying it.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 12:46 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I use disposable for both of my boys. I don't have the time to worry about rinsing and washing, and to me it seems like you'd go through a lot more water which isn't very eco friendly either. I don't diss any mom who uses cloth diapers at all, it's just a preference.
    Sharell8710

Comment by Sharell8710 (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I use disposable for both of my boys. I don't have the time to worry about rinsing and washing, and to me it seems like you'd go through a lot more water which isn't very eco friendly either. I don't diss any mom who uses cloth diapers at all, it's just a preference. "

I agree. Cloth makes lots of loads for your washing machine. My friend uses cloth and she's constantly running the washer, and that's not very eco-friendly either.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I considered doing cloth, but our water costs are CRAZY high that the cost savings was just not there for us. I spend $30 a month for Sam's club diapers so... over 2 years... $720. For cloth all in ones I was looking at $300 commitment for each size - so $900 for the same 2 year period - and that's not even counting jacking up my water bill at least $10 amonth. So that would put me at $1140 for two years. Way more money than diapers from Sam's club.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 1:05 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I let my Husband talk me into disposables with my son. This time though, I am staying at home and DH will not be around for the majority of the diaper changes so I vetoed his decision and we are going to try cloth. They just seem like they would be way more comfortable and I don't care what anybody says, I know they save money. You can buy one size diapers that last the entire time....as for the eco friendly aspect, I am undecided. I know you use a little more water (most cloth diapering Mamas I know only need to wash them all once or twice a day) but a half load in the washer still beats 20 diapers a day in the landfill.
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 1:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• cloth during the day and disposable if we are shopping or at night. Cloth because I am at home all the time or at least regularly.
    Disposable while shopping or at night because it is hard to carry around a nasty diaper while shopping and the baby seems to flood a cloth at night while sleeping. Tired of washing and changing the sheets every day! =)
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 1:49 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I love my cloth diapers so much! I'll probably never use disposables again. They were just so much easier for me and helped with my daughter's diaper rashes. They were also way cheaper in the long run. We spent as much on cloth diapers that lasted for a year as we did on disposables in a month and a half. If we have more children, I'll be using cloth again.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 2:13 AM on Nov. 3, 2010