Dealing with a toddler and morning sickness?

How do you deal with having morning sickness and taking care of your other children, especially if they're a toddler and still need a lot of your attention? My husband's job has him home for three weeks and away for three, so I don't know how I'm going to take care of my daughter (18 months old) while I just want to lay in bed all day! Any advice

MollieDoll

Asked by MollieDoll at 12:39 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• I just went through this.But my daughter was very helpful too.She would take care of me while i was in bed or on the couch all day.I still cant do much and i feel horrible that all she has to do is watch tv.But really theres nothing else we can do for our children when were that sick.Just do our best.I did good just to feed her and give her a bath.

Something that really helped me was to have my husband get her easy finger foods while he was at the store so that she could easily feed herself untill he came home because I couldnt even smell food.Shes four so it wasnt as bad as a small toddler.I feel for you and hope all goes well!
    aliceinlove

Answer by aliceinlove at 11:23 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• don't take this wrong but you just have to....My son was 3 when I was preggo with his baby brother and I had horrible morning sickness and I just put up with it. My son was amazing and came in the bathroom to sit with me and would even hold my hair back, hold my hand, rub my back. Eat a few saltine crackers b4 you get outta bed, drink lots of sprite and ginger ale...if it is real bad see if your ob will give a prescription
    travisnowensmom

Answer by travisnowensmom at 12:41 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• You will learn to. I am pregnant with my fourth and my husband is in the Navy and is gone at least half the year so you learn how to manage. When you wake up and you feel crummy and you go through the day and you feel crummy you know that your little one needs you it compels you to do what you have to do.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:42 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Try dealing with it naturally. Check out this article that has great natural tips - http://www.mommyappelseed.com/home-remedies-for-morning-sickness.html
    MommyAppelseed

Answer by MommyAppelseed at 2:45 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• keep your favorite crackers by your bed. eat a hand full BEFORE you get out of bed. Just make sure you shake the sheets before hubs returns. Eat them to settle your stomach. Swing your feet around slowly and wait a second before you raise up to stand. You have to equalize the shift in your center of gravity to accommodate the little one. Crackers are a preggers best friend

mamak57

Answer by mamak57 at 12:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i know how you feel i have an 8yr and a 7month and i am 18 wks i got lucky and was sick mostly in the afternoon and at night and the baby still does not sleep through the night so i am exsuted. when you feel sick just tell you toddler you have to go to the potty and explain to her that her bro or sis is making you sick and you might have to take little breaks on the couch.
    puresouthern

Answer by puresouthern at 9:37 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I completely understand, I had my worst morning sickness when my first child was 18months and wanted a lot of my attention. I will admit that I felt like I was not going to make it many times but looking back it really was just a short period of time in the grand scheme of things. But really you just do the best you can, just like you are amazed how you can keep going without sleep, you can keep going though sickness. Mom's are not allowed sick days after all....not that you wanted to hear that......it helped me to know that it is only for a finite perioed of time, you can see the light at the end of the tunnel, even if it is 9 months away.
    BriNAddymom

Answer by BriNAddymom at 11:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i found that telling the toddler that your sick and have them watch you they seam to understand then they will help you in like getting the papertowel for you
    dorispierce

Answer by dorispierce at 12:17 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• it is VERY hard coupled along with just being soooo tired all the time. My oldest was 20 mo when I got pg with #2 and I'm a sahm. It was very hard and I felt I didn't get to show my oldest attention, I just wanted to lay on the couch all the time for the 1st 2-3 months. I can't tell how I really dealt with it, I just did. It is very hard but they survive, at least you will have hubby there on and off
    SMWOODS

Answer by SMWOODS at 12:25 PM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Thanks everyone, your answers were really encouraging! I think I just needed to know that other people have gotten through this so I can too!
    MollieDoll

Comment by MollieDoll (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Nov. 3, 2010