Do you think this is right?

I dropped off a paper at my child's doctor's office a couple of weeks ago. It was a form for the Special Olympics so he can participate. Well, today I got a bill in the mail for $25 just to fill out the form. I thought this was ridiculous. Do you think that doctor's offices should be able to charge you for filling out a paper for school?

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:50 AM on Nov. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'd definitely call and ask if the doctor can let go of this one as a courtesy and in support of your son in Special Olympics. It'd be different if it was for records or something OTHER than that kind of event. If not, I'd be looking for a new doctor.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:56 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• OMG! I do not think that's right at all. What the heck is going on lately? I think it's straight greed and people no longer know how to do something friendly without having something in it for themselves. I'm sorry- that is horrible. I don't understand why it has to be like that.
    Sharell8710

Answer by Sharell8710 at 12:55 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• There time is worth something. Is it ridiculous? YES. Of all the things to charge for you think that they would just fill it out to participate in such a great event.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• And another thing...I'd probably get a new doctor. I'd let them know that if they had to charge me for a small courtesy like that, I'd be finding a new office. It's not about the money, really, but the principle.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:52 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• i think they should be able to if they want to, but at the same time I think it's wrong of them to charge for something like that. I mean, $25? That's ridiculous.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 12:51 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I would call them and ask them if there was some kind of a mistake and if they say that it wasn't a mistake then I would inform them that you will be finding a new Dr. because that is absolutely absurd. I would also tell them that you want them to bill your insurance for it, which of course your insurance isn't going to pay for it but it at least makes them have to do more paperwork and hassle on their end-SERIOUSLY?!
    AshleyBishop06

Answer by AshleyBishop06 at 1:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Wow $25 is steep, especially if they didn't tell you the cost up front. Our charges $5 for any form NOT related to school - school forms they do for free still.
    .science.mom.

Answer by .science.mom. at 6:34 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• I don't think it's fair (especially $25!) but I think it's their right to charge whatever fees they want, it's their practice. I process the FMLA leaves at my job and they charge my employees a fee to fill out the FMLA paperwork. These people are getting ready to take an unpaid leave and their doctors are charging them a fee to get the paperwork filled out so that they can do so. I don't think it's fair but it's a practice used by so, but not all, doctors.

mommyslate

Answer by mommyslate at 8:19 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Unfortunately, a lot of doctors' offices will charge for filling out forms and some will even flat out refuse to fill out anything. A sign of the times - they have to pay their employees to take the time to fill out the forms, so they think you should pay for it. Is it right, no, but it does make financial sense from a business standpoint. I think especially for something like Special Olympics participation, you would think they would not charge, but I guess that might be just if it as me !! Keep the receipt tucked away - take it off your taxes as a legit medical expense !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 11:53 AM on Nov. 3, 2010

• Do I think they should charge for filling out forms? No. Do they? Of course, it's just another way to get your money.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 2:31 PM on Nov. 3, 2010